Students
Options

Major Freak-out (Long, sorry) *Update*

Hey Knotties!

I am having a major mental breakdown.  I am supposed to student teach next fall (2011) and graduate in December 2011.  Then we are to get married in February 2012. I worked out a schedule with my advisors (all 3 of them) about 2 years ago in order to graduate early.  Now that I'm down to scheduling for my final semester of classes, nothing is working out. 

There is an education class that I need to take that is not being offered even though the university catalog says that it would be. I am also a HUGE Civil War buff so I scheduled my entire college career around the Civil War class.  However, it is offered the same time as another class that I need to take. Ugh! If I can't get the Civil War class, I can still take something else... I'll just be bummed out. 

I talked to my one advisor today and she told me not to worry about the education class; they would probably be willing to let me do an independent study.  She said that these things happen all of the time.  She also told me that I will more than likely be able to graduate when I want to. Even though she told me that, I am still freaking out.  

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? 

Re: Major Freak-out (Long, sorry) *Update*

• Options
    UGH! That happened to us (all my history education majors) at university. Our final semester before student teaching (when we were not graduating early) all upper level history classes were scheduled during our education classes. All 30 of them. We were so freaking pissed and we had to make a bunch of calls to get the classes changed.

Take the independent study- I had a friend who did that because of the above situation and she had less work than those of us in the class.

And yes this does happen all the time with education classes.
    Anniversary image
  • Options
    I had some issues like that a couple of semesters ago... luckily, I go to a really small school, so I just talked to the professors (both of which I had taken classes with before), and one of them was able to move the class time.

I would definitely do an independent study. I think you'd be fine with that.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of work do you plan on doing after you graduate? There aren't usually a whole lot of teaching jobs open in January, you know? Most don't pop up until after May/June/July. Are you just planning on subbing until then?
  • Options
    <div>Thanks for the advice everyone.  I am still working things out, but I'll be sure to let you know what happens. </div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_major-freak-out-long-sorry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:7081ab51-92a6-431e-988a-c621b2f46e56Post:d166c493-f398-48a0-8082-c46380d3c0f0">Re: Major Freak-out (Long, sorry)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had some issues like that a couple of semesters ago... luckily, I go to a really small school, so I just talked to the professors (both of which I had taken classes with before), and one of them was able to move the class time. I would definitely do an independent study. I think you'd be fine with that. Just out of curiosity, what kind of work do you plan on doing after you graduate? There aren't usually a whole lot of teaching jobs open in January, you know? Most don't pop up until after May/June/July. Are you just planning on subbing until then?
    Posted by literarymuse[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I am going into teaching.  I know that there aren't many teaching jobs in January.  I plan on subbing and working another job.  I am currently working as a server so I will probably just continue doing that until I can find a teaching job.  I have other options as well, but I'll think about those when the time comes. 

</div>
  • Options
    That sounds a lot like what my roommate was going to be doing (originally, she was going to be graduating a semester late, but she managed to fix things so that she'll graduate on time! Wooyay!). She also works as a server and was intending to continue doing that and working as a sub soas to get exerience until postitions opened up.

What kind of teaching do you plan on doing?
  • Options
    I will be able to teach social studies in grades 7-12.  I figure that student teaching in the fall and subbing in the spring will give me more experience than those who are just graduating.  Its like having a "leg up" on my competition. haha.  

Just an update for everyone... I met with my advisors this morning and the missing education class was just a typo.  No one noticed it until a few days after the fact.  Also, they are allowing me to take the Civil War class and take the education class as an independent study! My advisor even showed me how to "cheat the system" by waiving a class or two to make my semester easier.  Yay! Everything worked out!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards