Students

Is moving in with boyfriend to save money for engagement a good idea? I'll post my question here sin

Hey everyone! I'm basically new on here but have been lurking around for a while. My boyfriend currently owes about 8k in student/credit card debt, and is spending the majority of his paycheck on this, after rent, and debt he doesn't have enough left over to save up for a ring. We recently calculated a timeline as to when he'd be done paying off loans so he could start saving up for getting engaged, and it'll take a while. We both want to get engaged next year (2012) and I am lucky enough to be living in my apartment for free, so I am thinking I might offer him to move in with me temporarily, for 4-6 months so he can save up that rent money for a ring, with the condition that that money is being set aside for the engagement. Once he's saved up enough he can get his own place until the wedding. I am wondering if this is a good idea. We currently live together unofficially, as he has spent every single day/night here for the past 6 months, so he is basically paying for his apartment as storage until his lease is up. Are any of ya'll currently doing this? Do you think it's a good idea? Thanks for the input!
PersonalMilestone

Re: Is moving in with boyfriend to save money for engagement a good idea? I'll post my question here sin

• I agree with mandctaft, when you move in with someone it's hard to move out, especially with a SO. I thought me moving in with my boyfriend while I got set up with my job in his hometown would be temporary until I had enough money to get my own place. Well 8 months and some odd days later, we're still living together in our apartment and I'm happy things worked out this way. We both got to see the everyday side of one another which has made us both more confident in our decision to marry one day in the future. So I say let him move in, but just be forewarned you, him, or both of you may not want him to leave afterward.
    "Love is more than an emotion, it is a verb you must choose to do everyday." Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_moving-boyfriend-save-money-engagement-good-idea-ill-post-question-here-like-people-this-board?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:7e8b9c3e-de9a-44fa-86e0-a04205b2b288Post:4e936773-6895-40c3-a1b3-e33a95a0a2ee">Re: Is moving in with boyfriend to save money for engagement a good idea? I'll post my question here since I like people on this board the most!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for all the great responses! I'd say the main reason I'm leery about moving in together permanently is that I was always taught that couples move in together when they're married, so my family would not be hapy about us living together.<strong> I also want to have the excitement of getting a place together when we get married. </strong>If he were to stay with me for a few months to save up, my parents wouldn't even be able to find out, they'd freak out. But I'm not too worried about keeping it from them as they live hundreds of miles away in an island... so they wouldn't find out. For those of you that asked if we'd move in together even without money issues the answer is of course! He already spends every day at my place, and I love having him to come home to, and wake up next to, and cook diner with... We still have a few months before we need to make a decision, but we've discussed the possibility, and he also looks forward to the excitement of getting a place together later on. We don't need a ring to be engaged, but as I mentioned earlier, my family and his are very traditional and wouldn't really consider us engaged unless I had a diamond ring on my finger... I know its ridiculous.
    Posted by imean[/QUOTE]

If that's the case, then wait to buy a house together after you get married. My boyfriend and I got our first apartment together and we're just dating for now. But we're waiting to buy a house together when we tie the knot, which I'm sure will be way more exciting than living in our little one bedroom apartment.
    "Love is more than an emotion, it is a verb you must choose to do everyday." Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards