Students

Lawyer/3L Brides: BAR BRI/Honeymoon question

I need help from any knotties out there who have recently graduated from law school and taken the bar or are planning to take in in July 2011. 

I got engaged in July. I started my 3L year in August. I've always wanted a spring wedding and I didn't want to wait nearly 2 years for the wedding so we set the wedding date for the day after I graduate from law school (Sunday, May 15th).  We chose this date because it will be a week after exams end and before the BarBri classes start.  Didn't wanna plan a wedding while studying for the bar. 

Anyway, to make a long story short, I want to go on a honeymoon.  But I also want to pass the bar my first time.  I've been to the Louisiana Barbri website and they have not scheduled the start date for the prep classes.  I called and they said that they usually start around the third week in May....which would literally be the day after the wedding. Bummer.  I am really hoping that it starts the following week on the 23rd, but I am going to plan for the worst. 

So my question is, how big of a deal would it be to miss three or four classes to go on a quick honeymoon?  I am definitely going to miss Monday if that's the day it starts (it seems weird to wake up next to husband and say "great wedding babe, see ya after class").  So would missing another two or three classes be the end of the world?  They're available on videotape. 

Re: Lawyer/3L Brides: BAR BRI/Honeymoon question

• Oh no!  I didn't know there are bar exam classes you have to take in May/June.  I'm taking the bar exam in 2014, and that will coincide with a trip my FI and I want to make to Brazil to see the World Cup (he's Brazilian).  I hope it's possible to skip classes.  Good luck!
  • I am a 3L. I did the opposite of you and decided to wait longer to get married. I haven't taken Barbri classes yet; however, I was advised by upperclassmen that I should never miss a single day of class. I would put off the honeymoon until after the bar. That way it can be your "Honeymoon/I just finished the bar trip." good luck.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • There are so many other 3Ls!  I need to come to this board way more often
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm a 3L too! We aren't getting married until next December, though - well after the bar. :) Interestingly enough, I'm also in Louisiana, but that's neither here nor there. I also would wait until August because I'd want to really enjoy it, but if you really want to take a honeymoon (I know some people feel really strongly about it), I have several friends who missed a few BarBri classes in the beginning, made them up by watching online, and passed without a problem. I know I'm in the minority in the thread, but based on my friends a year ahead of me, it's much worse to take time off within the last 4 weeks before the bar than it is in the very beginning. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_lawyer3l-brides-bar-brihoneymoon-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:8c14fcd3-9874-4b6c-94a7-a1b5a322907ePost:24dfb955-ce54-409e-aef1-622b233fdee9">Re: Lawyer/3L Brides: BAR BRI/Honeymoon question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a 3L too! We aren't getting married until next December, though - well after the bar. :) Interestingly enough, I'm also in Louisiana, but that's neither here nor there. I also would wait until August because I'd want to really enjoy it, but if you really want to take a honeymoon (I know some people feel really strongly about it), <strong>I have several friends who missed a few BarBri classes in the beginning, made them up by watching online, and passed without a problem</strong>. I know I'm in the minority in the thread, but based on my friends a year ahead of me, it's much worse to take time off within the last 4 weeks before the bar than it is in the very beginning. 
    Posted by GeauxTigers17[/QUOTE]

This would have a lot to do with which state's bar you are sitting for.  I would never recommend ths for someone sitting for the NY, CA, OH, FL, MA bar exams. 
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • I'm so thankful for this thread! I'm a 2L, but planning on getting married right after graduation (2012). I thought I'd have to put off the whole thing, but it's a good idea to go ahead and get married and then just have the vacation later on. That sounds perfect because I really didn't want to have to postpone the wedding any further than we already are (1.5 yr engagement) although I suppose when it comes down to it, you do what you gotta do.

Good luck with finals, ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I ditto all the comments about doing a joint honeymoon/bar trip, but wanted to say hello to the other 3Ls!  We're planning on getting married next August abroad, so I'll be combining the wedding, honeymoon, and bar trip.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards