Students
Options

Seminary Students

Are there any seminary students out there?  What are your plans on the wording on vows, given that the ceremony is a theological statement of your faith as a couple?

Re: Seminary Students

• Options
    I am getting my Masters in Theological Studies, and got married in June. 
    I have no intention of being a pastor, and am actually not religious, but my husband is, and I am interested in either teaching or working with non-profits once I graduate in May. 

I didn't have any issues with our vows, we did the traditional vows (minus the obey part- I think ours said something like cherish, it's pretty standard nowadays to leave out obey), but I did pick out all of our readings myself. We had 4, and although I asked FI if he had any opinions, I pretty much did all of that myself. Our Pastor was super happy we did not use Corinthians 13.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Hey! My fiance and I are both seminarians, at different seminaries and we are planning on having fun with this. I recently realized how heteronormative the wording off all wedding related things are in the Book of Common Worship so we are making up absolutely everything. Our vows are leaving out the obey part and we are trying to leave out as much of the typical husband and wife language as possible. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_seminary-students?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:aa2943db-de51-4583-b000-3418996a48bdPost:b9c0f6bc-5b61-4c8f-b5b7-5283d8c97b5a">Re: Seminary Students</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey! My fiance and I are both seminarians, at different seminaries and we are planning on having fun with this. I recently realized how heteronormative the wording off all wedding related things are in the Book of Common Worship so we are making up absolutely everything. Our vows are leaving out the obey part and we are trying to leave out as much of the typical husband and wife language as possible. 
    Posted by devinsberries[/QUOTE]

I had the same thought.  My fiance did not even think aobut that until I pointed it out to him.  I wanted to make sure that the language was equitable, that is husband/wife NOT man/wife.  I had issues with "obey", since theologically speaking, nobody does this since we all sin and do not obey God all the time.  Would you share the wording you are using?   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards