Students
Options

Got my LSAT score... anyone else?

Good evening students!

I got my LSAT score last week... I've been stewing over it for a week, I'm not 100% satisfied. My score was AVERAGE... I feel like this is what I'm destined to be... Average Beth  :/
Can an average gal get into a law school?  *sigh*  I'm meeting with my pre-law advisor Monday morning, and will decide at that point if I will retake the test in October.

Did anyone else get their LSAT score?  How did you do?
first camping trip engagement
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Got my LSAT score... anyone else?

• Options
    GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    I just got mine, too.  I was DEVASTED.  I studied full-time for five months, as I was laid off from my job.  I was scoring amazing on all the practice tests, but I bombed the real thing because I panicked.... tunnel vision, numb hands and feet, slow thoughts.  I was putting too much pressure on myself.  I should have cancelled my score.  My score is so bad, there is no law school I want to go to now.  I plan to retake in October, which is such a pain.  Arrrggg... :-(

Btw, it was the logic games section that destroyed me.  Normally I get perfect scores on it, but I just did embarassingly bad on it.  I never want to see the word "mulch" again.

I'm trying to put things in perspective now... maybe I don't want to go to some uber-competitive law school.  Maybe I'd be miserable there.  I'm trying to find meaning in my LSAT debacle.

I know you feel average is bad, but if makes you feel better, at least it's not horrible.  Do you plan to retake?  Are you working on the rest of your law school apps?  I was hoping to start this afternoon, but I'm avoiding it because it's hard for me to face the difficult issuea before me.
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    If you didn't take a Kaplan Prep course, take one before retaking it.  That's the only way I got scores high enough to acceptances from law schools.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    What's average in your opinion? 150? 155? 

I'm in my 3rd year of law school. I wrote the LSAT 3 times. 151, 155, 158. I'm currently at a law school that averaged these scores. I'm in Canada so law schools are not ranked, and there aren't that many of them, which means I was a competitive candidate even with those scores. 

If you are not happy with your score, and if you don't think you will get accepted, I would suggest taking the powerscore course and studying all summer. 

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I just finished my 1L year. I took a Kaplan prep course and it helped my score jump 12 points. It still isn't a GREAT score, but it was enough to get me into UGA. :) I recommend it if you need structure to learn (like me).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I just graduated from Temple in Philadelphia this May, but when I took the LSAT I had scored the exact average of what became my entering class, and I also had the exact average GPA of my entering class.  Depending on your chosen school and your life situation otherwise, some schools may put more stock into your admissions writings than your test scores and GPA (as long as they're within reason).  I maintain that it was my essay that got me in to law school, as my average scores certainly didn't stand out much...

(insert shameless plug) What schools are you applying to?  I'm kinda partial to Temple, and Philly's a great city.  I really do think they give a lot of weight to your life experience, particularly in the evening division (I was an evening student), which also allows you to work during the day.  Depending on your situation, finding a school like this might be an option for you.

If you need to bump your LSAT scores, I would definitely go with the advice of PP and take a prep course before you retake.  Hang in there! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Love 06/2005 | Marriage 05/28/2011 | Baby! Peanut born on his due date, 9/30/12 Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I just signed up for Testmasters.  I start their prep course in August.  One of my friends had the same thing happened to her (awesome scores on practice tests, poor performance on real thing), and she said Testmasters really boosted her score.  It's unfortunately really expensive, but it's a good investment.

I was initially aiming for Harvard Law, only because my fiance is a grad student there and I want to be close by when we're married.  Harvard is now out of the question for me.  I have heard good things about Temple.  If I can increase my score significantly (very significantly), I'm hoping to apply to Georgetown, GW, Boston University, Boston College, Fordham, etc.
  • Options
    WOW! I had this post set up for email replies, and I didn't get a single email notifying me of replies! GRR!

Sorry ladies!

My average score is .... dare I share?  UGH!... here goes! .... 149... *CRIES*  OMG! I want to puke!

I'm retaking it in October.  I concluded that there are 2 or 3 law schools here in Texas that will take my 149 with my GPA, But none of those 3 were on my "list"  So I'm retaking the LSAT in October.

I only studies for 3 weeks, about 3 hours a day. Games and reasoning were my best sections... I BOMBED the reading comprehension. I can read, I SWEAR!

I'm purchasing the Powerscore bible books, and taking it from there.  I don't have the time for a prep course. and my friends who took the prep course didn't do much better. I think I can do better on my own.  Reading comprehension was the one area that I didn't study much on.

I'm Applying to Texas law schools... ALL OF THEM! haha.  my FI is graduating and teaching here in Texas, so I need to stay here in Texas.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_got-lsat-score-anyone-else?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:ab96e0d6-2059-4db9-afa4-ab04ff59b6f1Post:8a0876ba-09e0-4b21-a0bd-913c8173650c">Re: Got my LSAT score... anyone else?</a>:
    [QUOTE]WOW! I had this post set up for email replies, and I didn't get a single email notifying me of replies! GRR! Sorry ladies! My average score is .... dare I share?  UGH!... here goes! .... 149... *CRIES*  OMG! I want to puke! I'm retaking it in October.  I concluded that there are 2 or 3 law schools here in Texas that will take my 149 with my GPA, But none of those 3 were on my "list"  So I'm retaking the LSAT in October. I only studies for 3 weeks, about 3 hours a day. Games and reasoning were my best sections... I BOMBED the reading comprehension. I can read, I SWEAR! I'm purchasing the Powerscore bible books, and taking it from there.  I don't have the time for a prep course. and my friends who took the prep course didn't do much better. I think I can do better on my own.  Reading comprehension was the one area that I didn't study much on. I'm Applying to Texas law schools... ALL OF THEM! haha.  my FI is graduating and teaching here in Texas, so I need to stay here in Texas.
    Posted by bethlovesjim[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Hello.  I just went through all of that mess last year.  I'm starting 1L at Suffolk University Law School in the fall.</div><div>
    </div><div>Last year, I took the LSAT twice.  The first time, I got a 156.  The LSAC gave me the wrong address to the test site and I was lost at 7am for 45 minutes crying hysterically.  I showed up 5 minutes before the test started...needless to say, it was a mess.</div><div>
    </div><div>I did some more practice tests and studied a bit.  The second time, I got a 171.</div><div>
    </div><div>I had already applied to 18 schools, so when they got the 2nd LSAT score, the acceptances came rolling in.  I got into some great schools, including Vanderbilt Law, but I decided to take my full scholarship and run.</div><div>
    </div><div>I say relax, study, and make sure you know where your testing site is.  You could surprise yourself with how well you do next time.

</div>
  • Options
    I got my score... 151 (48th %tile).  I nearly threw up during the exam out of test anxiety (I get it for EVERY exam I take).  I was also pretty distracted since the univ. groundskeeping team started mowing the lawn during the exam, right outside the windows.  My practice tests were much higher, but I'm still taking a weekend crash course the weekend before the October test.  

I have the Powerscore Logic Games book (which is awesome), and Barron's "Mastering the LSAT".  I'm diving into those again starting tomorrow, since I really needed a break after months-long prep.

All I know is that I better do better on the Oct test.

Good luck!
    ~Danielle~ 25 June 2011 June 2011 Siggy Challenge: E-Ring Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_got-lsat-score-anyone-else?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:ab96e0d6-2059-4db9-afa4-ab04ff59b6f1Post:00ee9a46-c3fa-4f9f-b245-d58536d398e9">Re: Got my LSAT score... anyone else?</a>:
    [QUOTE] I never want to see the word "mulch" again. .
    Posted by GJones27[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I HATED that one!!!

</div>
    ~Danielle~ 25 June 2011 June 2011 Siggy Challenge: E-Ring Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I just paid for the October test. I also just purchased ALL of the Powerscore books, and Official LSAT PrepTests 53-59.

I'm ready!

If I can overcome the Reading Comp section, then I think I will earn an amazing score!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards