Students
Options

Grad School or no?

Hi everyone! New to the board... need some advice, please! Right now I am completing my bachelor's degree. By the time FI and I marry, I will be done with it. We plan to marry the September after I finish school. (Sooo.. I'll graduate in May 2013, marrying September 2013). Before getting engaged, the plan was to get my Masters immediately after my bachelors in a program at the same school as my first degree; however, my FI is in the military and if I wait, I can move to where he stationed once we're married and use military benefits for school discount. My mother thinks I won't get it if I wait and marry first. I think I will, but I was hoping someone had a similar situation maybe.. Any opinions?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
June 2013 brides December 2012 Siggy: Bridesmaids Dress

Re: Grad School or no?

• Options
    We married in Dec 2002 and I graduated with my BA in May 2003.  I went straight into grad school in June 2003 and finished in May 2004.

H, on the other hand, changed majors after we married and it took him quite a while to finish.  He did though, and between the two of us we had three degrees by the time we were 26.
  • Options
    I will be getting married before I get my Master's and I have every intention of getting it despite having taken a little break from school first...

I think it just depends on you. 

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I may end up being in the same situation - my FI will find out later this year where he is going to be stationed, and if I don't get the financial aid I want for grad school or just don't get in, I will move to where he is stationed and either apply to programs there or just get my teaching certification early and do my master's later. We would then get married in 2013 instead of 2014. I think all you can do in terms of your parents is wait it out - once you actually apply to programs, they'll realize you're still committed to your education. Just talk as enthusiastically about your master's as you do about your wedding and I bet they'll come around :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    I think it depends on the quality of the program. If you would be forced to attend a school where he is stationed, would the quality of the program be as good or better than where you are now? The name of the school is very important for grad school.

Are you thinking of completing a course-based Masters/professional Masters, or a research-based Master's? For a research-based Master's, location is extremely important. Also, would you have to wait an entire year before you can start since you might have missed the application deadlines?

One last thought. Can you take courses locally near where you are stationed, and then transfer them to where you complete your degree?

Do you actually need outside funding to complete your Master's? My program won't even accept you if they don't have the ability to fully fund you (including living expenses).
  • Options
    I think this is just a standard thing for parents to worry about.  When FI and I got engaged in 2010, I was in my second year of veterinary school and my dad went haywire saying that I had "Better finish school first because I've worked too hard to quit school and have babies". He's not the most eloquent of speakers. 

While it's true that it is often difficult for people to go back to school once they've left, plently of people do it. If you and your future hubby can support yourselves in the plan you've worked out, go for it.  I would just have some contingency plans in place.  If you can't find a good master's program where you end up living, what will you do?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm no longer a student, but I did go straight through from BA to MPP.  However, depending on the type of program, it can often be better to take time off between your undergrad and grad.  For example, if you're doing an MBA, top MBA programs aren't even going to consider you for admittance if you don't have substantial work experience.  However, if you're in education, going straight through might make sense for you.

I was one of the youngest ones in my MPP program--while I'm glad it's behind me and my decision worked well for me, I usually think its a good idea to work for a few years--you may change your mind on what you want to do.
  • Options
    I will need to agree with your mom on this. I went straight through and I sat / am sitting in class with lots of women and men who are late 40s early 50s who planned to go back sooner. Once you get married.... welll ....as they tell me you get in a rhythym and going back to school just seems like an inconvenience once you arent going at all
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm in a similar situation.  I'll graduate next May and get married next July.  The fiance will graduate the same time and start PA school in the fall, so I'll be working full-time.  If you want to get your degree badly enough, then time off won't keep you from it.  It can definitely make you a better applicant to the program depending on what you want to go for.  There are also some programs you can do at night, which is what I'll be doing when I can go back to get my MBA.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    When I was accepted to grad school (I'm almost half way through my MS program) I got the option of deferal. It's pretty common. Most schools will allow you up to two years of deferal after acceptance. So you can apply the year you finish undergrad to keep your mother happy and defer for two years to follow your husband and come back to it. I would look into it at your schools of choice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards