Students
Options

FAFSA

Hey Ladies!  I could really use some insight right now.

Justin and I are getting married August 13, 2011.  I have one year of school left and he has two.  We've been getting mixed signals on how to file, complete, and submit the FAFSA.

Should we file, complete, submit the FAFSA before August 13?  Claiming dependence on the parents, and not getting the financial aid of being married students next year?

OR

Should we file, complete, and submit the FAFSA on/after August 13?  Claiming independence as married students for next school year?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Jessica

Re: FAFSA

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_fafsa?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:bcf95bb2-457b-49e6-be52-80ca91d53a36Post:5ce94596-1aed-4ad6-9e37-20f2ef73592b">Re: FAFSA</a>:
    [QUOTE]I actually just asked about this at the college I go to.  They STRONGLY suggested that you wait until after you're married to fill out the FAFSA.  You'll lose out on a $1000 grant or loan or something, because you miss the "deadline" of April 15th, but you'll get so much more money in grants and everything else as a married couple because the FAFSA will be based on your income, which is, most likely, a heck of a lot less than your parents make. 
    Posted by jinildsl[/QUOTE]

<div>^This. Our advisor said exactly the same thing. Unless the two of you are making anywhere near as much as both sets of parents, just bite the bullet and turn the FAFSA in late.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards