Students
Options

Young Brides.

2»

Re: Young Brides.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_young-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:c453bb38-81e2-4b63-b34b-82971bf8321ePost:37a23b75-4d5e-47f8-8195-bdf11d2a8484">Young Brides.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I will be getting married to my fiance, whom I've been with for over three years, this upcoming July 16th. We are both eighteen. Anyone else getting married young <strong>that has confidence in their relationship?</strong>
    Posted by riotxbaby[/QUOTE]

The bold just slays me.  I hope that every bride, young old and in between, has confidence in their relationship.  Otherwise, why are they getting married?!
  • Options
    Congrats!

I am 21 and my fiance is 22. I will be 22 when we get married. Here's the thing. He asked me to marry him when I was 20. I said yes, but we had a long talk about college and where we wanted to be in five years. It sounds silly, but it is something that really needs to be discussed. We both agreed that I needed to graduated college no matter what and that at least one of use should be out of school. He will be graduating three weeks before we get married, but we are saving like mad men and even cutting back on our honeymoon. We are planning to do our honeymoon for our one-year anniversry. If you are planning on getting married in a year or two, make sure you have your money in line. It will be a big issue if you don't. That will also help with issues that most couples have during and after the wedding process.

Wish you the best of luck and I hope your life is filled with unending love! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm 22 and FI is 25.  When we get married, I'll be 24 and FI will be just shy of 27.  And we STILL get the "You're too young to be getting married" speech.
  • Options
    I agree with what a lot of people are saying on this board. I feel that I get the "are you sure you aren't too young talk" in various aspects of relationships, my boyfriend moved from our hometown and transferred schools to live with me at my school, which is a huge step. The next step for us will be an engagement (we're both 21), but first, we want to be completely financially independent. We don't feel that we're ready to be married if we're still asking mom and dad for money whenever we're in a bind.

A little long winded there, but I guess my point is that everybody's situation is different! If you are ready and want to get married young, still in school, or whatever the case may be, then do so.
  • Options
    I will be getting married at 18 soon. I have been with my boyfriend for almost 4 years and I know that he is the right one. We have made sure we planned our finances and I will still be able to go to college locally while working part time. I am nervous like anyone but I am very confident :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I see a lot of posts that say you should go out and experience the world on your own for a while, but that just doesn't sound like something I want to do. I want to go out and experience the world with him.
    And please don't think that because a couple is getting married young that they haven't talked about the important issues- although I do suggest premarital counseling to bring up topics that we couldn't possibly think of because of our age and lack of experience. I hope that doesn't sound contradicitive.....

*I would just like to clear up about the other Young Brides board- it wasn't about not wanting advice from older brides, its about not being able to get the advice because some people just can't see through the numbers. But that doesn't apply to everyone on  here and I shouldn't judge everyone like I assume they judge me. But it is nice to be able to talk to other brides who experience the same age discrimination out in the real world. I wasn't trying to shun older brides or segregate younger brides, just to create a comfortable and judgement free zone.
  • Options
    syrupstar86syrupstar86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010

My fiance and I are both 20.  We'll be getting married after having been together for really just over a year. We are both mature and ready, and we are also both done with the dating scene.  We know what we want, and we can't wait to spend the rest of our lives learning even more about each other! 
    We're almost done with our premarital counseling and we're going about this the right way:)  We get quite a bit of flak for our age, but we've learned to brush it off.  We know each other's dreams and goals and we're determined to make certain that neither of us lets of theirs.  He's in the Air Force and i'm going to school for social work.  I'll be going to school at the University near the base he is stationed at.
    Moving in just over a month!  Can't wait!!:)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards