Students
Options

International student

my fiancée and I have been dating for two years. He is great to me, never mistreated me in anyway. He is a international student so he only have a student visa. He asked me to marry him I said yes. after we get married he would have permanent residence in the USA. He say he is not marrying me because of that I do believe him. But my mom and Dad keep asking me about it. Asking me if i;m sure that I want to get marry to him. they think he may only want to marry me to stay in the country.They are afraid that he will leave me after he gets what he wants. I don't know what to tell them when they say or ask me things like that. I really do Love him and he really loves me. I don't have to force him to do nothing.We both go to church together. I really want to marry him because if i don't and we keep dating he'll have to go back home and I don't want that.I worry sometimes about what will happen. I've pray about it. How do i know for sure he does love me and he is not only after that? what should I do?
Sweetsil

Re: International student

• Options
    Well I can't tell you whether or not he really loves you, just like I couldn't tell ANY girl on this board that.  But it sounds like you're sure and that's important.  Also, for these types of marriages, I know you have to go to meetings and they check up on you after you're married, plus you have to stay together for some length of time or he'll lose his right to stay in the US.  So if he's aware of all these things, it's doubtful he's just going to leave you once you're married.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Just like PP said, no one here can tell you what only you can know, and you sound like you know he loves you. I didn't know about the whole checking in on you for a a few months afterward thing, but that does offer some comfort. And I mean, there are other ways to become a citizen rather than marrying someone - if that was all he was after. I say not to worry, and when your parents bring it up (something my parents would probably do) tell them how you feel and that you know what he feels is genuine.
  • Options
    My FI will be on a student visa when we get married.  But our relationship goes waaay back.  We met abroad and had a long-distance relationship from different continents for two years.  He then got a company to sponsor him in the U.S. and he worked for two years in my city.  He only proposed after he got into grad school.  He wanted to show any skeptics that he wasn't getting married just to stay in the country.  And no one has ever questioned that. 

Honestly, I think your parents have issues not with his international status, but rather with him and your relationship.  Do you know why that might be the case?  I think you need to get at the root of why they think he will leave you.  Maybe they have some weird prejudice or misconception. 

You two might want to explore other options he has to stay.  Have you looked into H1B or G4 visas?  Have you guys tried an internaitonal long-distance relationship?  And the other poster was right... your FI will only get a provisional greencard or something for two years I think once you get married.  The government really investigates you to prevent fraud. 

Anyways, I hope it works out!  I know it's tough, but hang in there.  Communication is key.   
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_international-student?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:d26cfd04-b647-4fe6-a686-efc453354f83Post:75eec467-6063-4b07-ae40-c909e9de44b8">International student</a>:
    [QUOTE] my fiancée and I have been dating for two years. He is great to me, never mistreated me in anyway. He is a international student so he only have a student visa. He asked me to marry him I said yes. after we get married he would have permanent residence in the USA.<strong> He say he is not marrying me because of that I do believe him. But my mom and Dad keep asking me about it. Asking me if i;m sure that I want to get marry to him. they think he may only want to marry me to stay in the country.</strong>They are afraid that he will leave me after he gets what he wants. I don't know what to tell them when they say or ask me things like that. I really do Love him and he really loves me. I don't have to force him to do nothing.We both go to church together. I really want to marry him because if i don't and we keep dating he'll have to go back home and I don't want that.I worry sometimes about what will happen. I've pray about it. How do i know for sure he does love me and he is not only after that? what should I do?
    Posted by sylphise[/QUOTE]

There's a permanent resident card that is valid for two years since issuance.  for your situation, where you are a US citizen / Permanent Resident and your fiance is on a work visa or a student visa.  If your husband sticks with you longer than the two years you can apply for the permanent resident card that has to get renewed every ten years.

It's to stop bringing in people to the USA for paper marriages.  This process got instituted in 2008.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards