Students
Options

Interview Attire- To suit or not to suit?

Im an education major and have a few interviews coming up. I had a mock interview at my university this past weekend and wore a below-the-knee black and white pencil skirt, a tailored white oxford, and a black cardigan. The woman interviewing me said she preferred matching business suits with her interviewees... but thats just not me. I would be sitting there thinking about how uncomfortable I am the whole time.

What are yalls thoughts on this? Any experiences or advice that youve heard?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Interview Attire- To suit or not to suit?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_interview-attire-suit-not-suit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:d648602d-60a7-4a19-b1d8-e1873e9561d0Post:32fc28de-1b0a-4266-8c51-ccdbd35392b6">Re: Interview Attire- To suit or not to suit?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Interview Attire- To suit or not to suit? : Lots of schools are very casual these days. Maybe you could wait in the school parking lot after school and see what the teachers are wearing when they leave. You can then get an idea of how the school dresses. 
    Posted by mandi921vh[/QUOTE]

What a teacher wears to school AFTER being hired is probably a poor reflection of what they wore on interview day.
  • Options
    Ditto SteveandKris: interview attire =/= how you dress at the job.  I interviewed in a suit for a job where I (and everyone else) wore jeans and sneakers every day.  It's generally true that you dress nicer for an interview, except for jobs where that's not really possible (like where you'd already have to wear a suit to work every day).

Also, some people don't dress appropriately for work.  My friends who are teachers often complain that their co-workers don't follow the dress code and wear things that are much too casual for their workplace.  Looking at teachers in a parking lot isn't really the best indicator, it might be better to see how the administrators dress.  But it's safe to just wear a suit!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Whoops, I guess I received bad advice from an old professor. Wear a suit :)

imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

Thank yall so much for the advice!

I wore a tailored houndstooth jacket with a black pencil skirt and the director of HR called the principal right away to get him to interview me after I interviewed with her. Unfortunately he was on a field trip and now they are on Spring break. She said I was an "excellent canidate" and described in detail their new teacher academy that she heads.

PS- she was wearing a black short cocktail dress with no sleeves. I felt ackward and silly for worrying about if i was professional enough! Haha.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_interview-attire-suit-not-suit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:d648602d-60a7-4a19-b1d8-e1873e9561d0Post:840e95f3-7afc-4b43-a28a-b6bf0db5a6d9">Re: Interview Attire- To suit or not to suit?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank yall so much for the advice! I wore a tailored houndstooth jacket with a black pencil skirt and the director of HR called the principal right away to get him to interview me after I interviewed with her. Unfortunately he was on a field trip and now they are on Spring break. She said I was an "excellent canidate" and described in detail their new teacher academy that she heads. PS- she was wearing a black short cocktail dress with no sleeves. I felt ackward and silly for worrying about if i was professional enough! Haha.
    Posted by futuremrscoachj[/QUOTE]

That's great news, good luck!  Also, a tailored jacket and a plain black pencil skirt is an excellent alternative to a suit, IMO. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    S0095042S0095042 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011
    I'm a business (marketing) major so I would have worn a suit that is simple but that has some personality --but it sounds like it worked out for you. yeah! :)
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards