Students

Get Married After Bachelors or Masters?

I was just wondering everyones opinions on when the best time for them was to get married -  after they earned there bachelors or after they earned there masters. Me and my future hubby are both pursuing masters degrees and he will most likely then be pursuing a PH. D.

Re: Get Married After Bachelors or Masters?

• Ill be smack in the middle of my PhD and getting ready to do my qualifier when I get married lol probably poor planning - but Id say if you guys have some down time between Masters and PhD I would try to plan the wedding in there!! :) It would be a lot less stressful if you are done defending and you can focus on the wedding :)
  • That is a good question. We aren't sure yet for this very reason. I'm guessing we will set a date sometime while I am pursuing my Masters and he is studying for his CPA.
  • it doesn't really matter?? unless you are publishing under your maiden name. my FI only has his bachelor's, and he completed that 8 years ago. I'm just finishing up my 2nd bachelor's, and may at some point down the road get a master's, probably after having kids. we're getting married 8 days after graduation because that's how the timing worked out best for us--we're living in 2 different cities while I'm in school. however, if we had been living in the same city as the school I attend, we probably would have gotten married much earlier, back when my program was easier.

get married whenever is right for you.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    There is no right time to get married, so get married when it is the best for both of you. 

We are waiting because currently we are not even in the same city and hoping in a year or so we can buy a house together and get married then. 
  • I'm going to be getting married about a month after I finish my B.A.
    I'm thinking of going to get my M.A. (MAYBE eventually, if I'm brave enough, my M.F.A.!) and starting that in a year or so.
    I think that it really depends on the couple when the best time to get married is. Everyone is different.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We're getting married the week after I graduate with my bachelor's (my last semester will actually give me a lot of down time I can use to planning). We had originally planned for a year later, but I decided I didn't want to worry about trying to plan a wedding while working on my Master's degree.
  • I waited until after my master's go even get engaged. I told FI I wanted to be done with school before all that. He proposed our next anniversary, which was like 6 months after I graduated.

I wouldn't have wanted to get married while still in school,but it might be different if I were going for my PhD, since that takes much longer.
  • My fiance and I decided that it would be least stressful/best timed to have our wedding before I go into Grad school. But, depending on how things go, I might end up being in grad school and planning at the same time. :P
  • We are waiting until after we graduate (Bachelor's) to get married. Then we will both go to grad school. I really didn't want to deal with wedding planning and budgeting and any DIY projects while working on my Master's degree. I will have the summer before my senior year, as well as some down time during my senior year, to plan the wedding. Also, a full month after we graduate to finalize anything and make sure everything has been taken care of.
  • We are getting married after my first year of medical school.  It works out because I actually have a little time to get everything done (wedding, name change, moving in, etc), and I'm glad it will be a low-stress period, school-wise.  I say just look at your plans and figure out when you would like to tie the knot; see what works for both of your plans.

FWIW, I have two friends getting married this summer as well- one takes step I boards for med school the week before the wedding, and the other will take her bar exam a week after.  I do not recommend that.   :)
  • I agree with CynikettE. My FI & I are getting married in the summer between graduating Bachelor's degree, and starting the Master's degree. We just figured it would be much easier to plan, and get settled into marriage before starting graduate school.Laughing

171 Were Invited to the fun!image
    141 Are ready to party! image
    30 Have other plans! image
    0 Haven't checked their mailbox yet! image
  • I took a year off between BA and MA... we're getting married this summer and I'll have one semester of master's in. :o) It's been nuts.. I wish we would have done it last year when i was off.
    imageimageimage
  • Sounds like I'm in the same boat as a lot of you...I'll be finishing my bachelor's degree spring 2011, and we're getting married September 2011. I'm not sure yet if I'll be going straight into my master's or not, but we're getting married a few weeks before school starts so we have time to honeymoon, send thank yous, etc.
  • I graduate with my B.S. this May, and I start grad school right away in the summer.  I don't really have much down time at all.... but we didn't want to wait another 2 1/2 when I am finished.  So, our wedding is in October, in  the middle of my first semester of grad school. Planning it really hasn't been that bad though, I have had a lot of down time in my last semester, and our engagement is pretty long.  It will be worth it :)
    Anniversary
  • My FI and I are getting married next summer after I get my BA and before I (hopefully) go for my MA. He'll be between his two years of getting his MA, so actually it works out pretty good. That way we won't have a gap year where one of us has to find a job and wait for the other to graduate. And honestly, why wait to be together? lol It's too hard!
  • If you make it an intimate affair, just do it whenever you get a chance.  We just got engaged 4 weeks ago and I thought we'd wait a year to allow for planning.....then we realized it'd be best to do it about a month after we both graduate with our MD's, which will also be about 3 weeks before starting the hell that is residency!  It has been stressful planning everything so quickly (rush orders on everything), but it's also exciting!  I'm glad we decided to go ahead and take the plunge!!
  • I'm so excited this thread exists! My best friend has been debating which to do for a long time and I think this will really help. Thanks guys!!
  • We decided to let me do my Masters. I will graduate May 2011 with my Bach and May 2012 with my Masters. So I can still get aid and such with out being married, we chose the week after graduation. It was a lot to talk about though. But having two years to plan and being able to get a better job, I chose two years instead of one. I would have done it next year but I really want to be done with school and go on with a job. It was a very hard decision though.
  • I graduated with my Bachelor's last May and he is finishing his Master's this May. We are getting married in June and both plan to go on further in school, but are waiting a year to go back. I wanted plenty of time to plan without the added stress of school or applying for school and he wants us both to work for a year so then we can possibly make a big move and go somewhere different. I couldn't have waited another 3 years (which is how long my grad program will be) to get married, so we decided to just go ahead and do it. It definitely depends on what you want, so just do what is best for the both of you.
  • I'm getting married during my last semester of my MA (my Fi already has a PhD). If I waited until after my PhD... well, I'd be waiting a long time.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • My fiance and I are getting married this summer, after our candidacy exams.  I guess that's equivalent to after the masters...  We figured we'd want to have some kind of celebration after working so hard for so long, and having our wedding felt like a good way to do that.  ;-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards