Students

Has anyone gotten married over winter break?

We have been thinking about May 2012 right after I graduate, but for many reasons, the more we think about that, the less it seems to work. So now we've been thinking about January 2012. We don't have to come back to school until mid-January so if we got married the first week in January, it would all work out. He's graduating that December, so he will be done anyways. And for that spring semester, I'm strictly student teaching. I won't actually be on campus at all. Add a bunch of other family reasons and so on and January just seems to make the most sense. So, has anyone done this? Does it sound do-able? We have to decide on a date soon! :)
May 2012: April Signature Challenge: Wedding Venue
imagePlanning Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Has anyone gotten married over winter break?

• Yup.  We got married Dec 14, the Saturday after finals, and went back to school 3 weeks later.  It was wonderful.  Not to mention that we'd been planning on an August wedding the following year...after we decided on Dec, we found out that EIGHT of our couple friends were getting married in August.  We would have definitely conflicted with at least one of their weddings, probably more.  This way, we were the only ones in our social circle getting married that day.
  • I like your plan. :) We are getting married in March 2012 (yes, in the middle of the semester) but that's because we have a lot of things going on over the typical holiday breaks and we dislike summer (we are getting married in Savannah, Ga).

I think your idea will go fine and will cost less because of the off-season discounts a lot of vendors offer in Nov-March. Just be sure to basically get it planned before your Fall semester so you aren't stressing during Fall Finals. :)
    imagepcos ribbon Pictures, Images and Photos Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Amelia, we also thought about discounted prices which is perfect for our tight budget! Haha. And I will hopefully be doing the bulk of planning this summer so I don't have to worry about much for the fall semester. Thanks!
    May 2012: April Signature Challenge: Wedding Venue
    imagePlanning Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sounds like a great plan. My guy and I have discussed and we aren't all about the summer wedding. We're talking about doing a December wedding. It'll be after I graduate, but same general idea. :p
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hey, we opted for a December 2010 wedding so that it fit into my school schedule. A summer wedding wasn't really an option and we didn't want to wait that long anyway. With a December wedding it fits right between my finals and the next semester. We have like a month and a half to settle down into "married life" before school hits again. It is working great for us.

~totally in love with my best friend~ Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • That is exactly what we are planning. We had originally planned for June of 2012 after my graduation, but my fiance is in the Air Force, which complicated the date a bit. So, with the AF and my school in mind, we decided we would get married in Dec 2011, right before Christmas, during his holiday leave. I think it will work out better for us, and it sounds like you have it figured out and it will work out better for you too. The unfortunate thing about being a student is that you have to do what's best for you both and sometimes that may not be what's best for the rest of the world. All that matters is that you are happy and married in the end. :) And it will be cheaper! PS: I am going to be student teaching that last semester too, so I completely get it! It does make it that much easier knowing that the last semester really is more like a job than school (until you add in the graduation requirements and cap/gown stuff). Just be sure that you know what day you will have to start teaching. In my program, we start teaching when our students start back to school rather than when the college starts back.
  • My FI and I can't decide between Dec 2011 or June 2012. He's a teacher and I'm in Grad school so we would be getting married on a weekend in December, and taking our honeymoon over his winter break. However, our parents don't like that idea because I'll still be in school and not making any money, nor am I able to save any right now.  I just think a December wedding would be beautiful, every vendor we looked at has great decorations:)
  • I'm really glad I found this post!  We're also trying to decide between January, March (spring break) or Summer of 2012.  We both want a winter wedding but our families are discouraging us because New England weather is so unpredictable.  I just love the winter wonderland theme and finding a venue with a fireplace!  I'd love to do the first week of January as well, because there is time before my last semester starts.  Decisions, decisions!
  • We're planning on getting married over next winter break-December 27, 2011.  By that time (hopefully!) I'll have a teaching job and my fiance will be on winter break and getting ready to student teach the following semester.  He will student teach wherever I get a job, and then we'll have the challenge of finding jobs near each other :)

I think a winter break wedding is ideal for students, and we got huge discounts on our catering, reception hall, and ceremony site for picking a Tuesday in December.  That date is letting us have a much nicer wedding for our budget than we'd be able to have in the summer, and most of our friends will be on break then as well (family will likely just stay in town from Christmas/Hanukkah until the wedding).
  • We wanted a fall wedding but I dont graduate until december 2011 so we are going to have the wedding over fall break.
  • Wow. I think I found my knottie twin right here.
    FI and I are doing this exact same thing.
    The last day of finals is the 16th.
    We are getting married on the 17th.
    And we're BOTH student teaching for our last semester.
    It's going to be crazy, but doable.
    I'm very excited about graduating with my husband with my new name.
    Good luck with all of your planning.
    = )
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • My fiance and I are planning on Dec 2013.  I will be graduated and he will only have a semester left, but he goes to a school that is tuition free.  The only thing I'm worried about is that I will be supporting him financially for the most part, which I am completely fine with, but I'm not sure how my family will feel about it.  I know that we don't want to have to wait longer till he graduated especially with already having a super long engagement.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards