Students
Options

Student Health Insurance

I am currently on my parent's health insurance. Obviously, after the wedding we will have to find our own, probably from OSU. I am 22 and still have my parents information on my FASFA, I did the 4cast thing and it said that FI and I can pretty much get tuition paid for when we get married. I

My question is, do the financial benefits of marriage outweigh the cost of insurance? 

Re: Student Health Insurance

• Options
    This is really going to depend on a lot of things. First of all how much is the insurance?  Then you also have to realize that this most likely will not include eye or dental insurance.  You also have to consider on top of the cost of the insurance how much are the out of pocket expenses such as the deductible and prescription costs?

I don't know you personally  and I don't know what personal expenses you already pay for but many people also don't consider the fact that there parents will no longer be taking care of there phone bill, car insurance, rent, renters insurance, utilities or anything else along these lines that some parents take care of during their children's college years.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I just saw your post on Etiquette and this changes my thoughts a bit.  The coverage on student health insurance is usually very basic, so I would look over it VERY carefully before deciding to switch.  For people with chronic health problems, having the best possible coverage is a big deal, as I'm sure you know, so if getting married means losing decent coverage, I would wait. 

You will most likely have to get off of your parent's policy soon, anyway, but there are some other options - my fiance stayed on his dad's insurance until he was too old, and then he was eligible for COBRA, to stay on the same plan.  It's very very expensive, but it's one of the few plans that covers the treatments he needs, which makes it worth it in the end.  I think you need to sit down with some insurance specialits and figure out what's best for you; I wouldn't worry about getting married sooner.  I know you have sentimental reasons for wanting to have the wedding early, but sometimes you have to be practical.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Warning, this is long but I think it has some helpful information to you.

I also read your post on the etiquette board. I am a grad student at OSU and have comprehensive student health insurance. It is actually decent insurance (and it does include vision and dental - it comes as a package deal). They cover 85-90% of most in-network costs and there isn't a deductible for most things as long as you're in-network. Prescription costs are amazing. Better than most insurance companies.

I can't really talk about cost because I am fully funded and the department subsidizes 85% of the cost. The rest is just taken out of my paycheck every month. In the scheme of insurance costs, I think it is pretty reasonable. However, in your case, I would warn you that the insurance company is a STICKLER for pre-existing conditions (and I didn't even have any). You will have to provide documentation (as well as the doctor) to show that you have not been treated previously. Until you pass the waiting period for pre-exisitng conditions you have to do this every. single. time. regardless of why you went to the doctor. It could have been for a cold and you would still have to fill out the paperwork they send you before they pay the claim. Most insurance companies have a waiting period for pre-exisitng conditions though, and it would be extremely difficult to find a company that didn't.

I usually only lurk, but I thought I should add this since I have OSU insurance.
  • Options
    Just want to add: grad student insurance is not always the same as undergrad, so be sure to check on the coverage you will actually be getting!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    What is the forecast FAFSA thing?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards