Students
Options

Getting married before taking the NCLEX

I graduate from my BSN program the first week of May 2012, and I am getting married later that month. I am taking FI's last name, but I am worried about changing my name before the NCLEX. I hear that they are very strict about identification and have to receive paperwork from your state that you have graduated. Is anyone else worried about this because your degree will be in your maiden name? I'm also worried about my license having my maiden name even though I will be changing it to FI's last name.
5/27/12

Re: Getting married before taking the NCLEX

• Options
    I'd contact the state board or talk to your nursing school to see what they recommend. I only have experience with coworkers who changed all of their licenses over upon marriage a couple of years after passing boards.

• Options
    Im getting married in may and gradding in june...i am not changing my name until later in the summer (after everything school related is done)

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Options
    I would change your name after the test. Is that an option for you? 
    BabyFruit Ticker www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_getting-married-before-taking-nclex?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:f0439ec3-b7bd-4148-9edd-ce977fc34f21Post:d57eb6f6-9454-462b-a19b-f68656861cf3">Re: Getting married before taking the NCLEX</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would change your name after the test. Is that an option for you? 
    Posted by AMJ6511[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's what I'm leaning towards. I feel like it would save a lot of hassle. The only thing I am worried about though is my future job. I obviously want to be known by FI's last name not my maiden..but my paperwork/license will be in my maiden.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    I'm having the same problem. I think I've just decided not to legally change my name till after taking the test
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I do not have exactly the same situation, but I will be graduating in May and hopefully taking my boards early June before I get married June, 30th.  I am planning on changing my name and feel like it is going to be a hassle getting my license changes and all paperwork with any job I may have already accepted!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_getting-married-before-taking-nclex?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:f0439ec3-b7bd-4148-9edd-ce977fc34f21Post:d7181eef-2d19-4088-a4c0-e70f2628556a">Re: Getting married before taking the NCLEX</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Getting married before taking the NCLEX : The only thing I am worried about though is my future job. I obviously want to be known by FI's last name not my maiden..but my paperwork/license will be in my maiden.
    Posted by jaycee7389[/QUOTE]
    Work will understand. Once you have your license and get a job, then go through the steps of changing it. Just explain that you got married soon after the NCLEX and obtaining your license and that you're going to be changing the name as soon as you get the paperwork.

• Options
    So, I don't have advice specific for you, but I am a teacher and had to get my name changed on my teaching license and it was pretty painless-- just filling out a form, sending in a copy of my new social security card to verify, and I got my new license in the mail yesterday. I don't know the exact process for you, but for me, license name changing was painless.
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone!
    5/27/12
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_getting-married-before-taking-nclex?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:f0439ec3-b7bd-4148-9edd-ce977fc34f21Post:56e8b4fb-420a-4b95-8fb4-f22bdab4b5f4">Re: Getting married before taking the NCLEX</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Getting married before taking the NCLEX : Work will understand. Once you have your license and get a job, then go through the steps of changing it. Just explain that you got married soon after the NCLEX and obtaining your license and that you're going to be changing the name as soon as you get the paperwork.
    Posted by ahstillwell[/QUOTE]

This.
  • Options
    Wait to change it. I took the NCLEX about 4 years ago and your name must match exactly to your identification materials....some girl at the testing site registered with a middle initial with her papers and did not have it on the drivers license...the center turned her away. I would have been pissed-I mean come on a middle initial that is not on the drivers license. Dumb. A few girls I know have changed their name since becoming RNs and it was relatively simple to change the name on their license. I think it only takes a few weeks to process through our state board. Probably depends on the state how easy it is. Good luck here in a few months-my best advice is don't focus on reviewing everything you learned in school. Just take practice questions on a cd and read rationale for right/wrong. No matter what answer according to the ABC's. You'll do great when time comes. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards