Students
Options

Rach?

did you ever get more info about finishing your PhD elsewhere? did FI officially take the job offer?

I have been thinking about you and hoping it worked out!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
Fred Rogers

Re: Rach?

• Options
    Hey Aggie! Rich ended up accepting the offer---and we'll be moving this spring/summer! 

I looked into other PhD programs in NC--but, from what I gathered, while they would take some transfer credits, they wouldn't take more than a semesters worth (9-12 credit hours). In my mind, it wouldn't be "worth" losing two years of coursework. But, the more I thought about it, I wouldn't be comfortable transferring and feeling up to par with students in a program somewhere else. If I have to be honest, my PhD program is rather shoddy---in fact, I spent an hour with my Dean today discussing the downfalls (at his request), after which he met with our President. I have a sneaking suspicion the program may be suspended in the near future for quality issues (i.e. we have a 44:1 student-to-faculty ratio in the PhD program alone, 80:1 when our master's program is added in). 

While I love being in higher education, and learning about the inner-workings of colleges/universities, my main goal is to teach. My program now is geared towards administrators (which I do not want to be). I think I will take a year off of school to work, and head back to a substantial program and start from scratch. Not to mention, I've been randomly ill (my blog describes it all) for almost a year now---it will be great to take time off to gain my strength back before I attack school again. For now, I'm happy with my two (and a half) degrees! Laughing

Sorry for being so long-winded! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Wow I just read your blog, I have picked up on (P&)E that you were having health issues and job issues, but I am not able to be on that much so it was hard for me to keep track of what was really happening.  I am sorry you are having such a struggle with it, I hope you find a real answer soon. 

It sounds like you have a good plan though. Your health and your new marriage is number 1 right now as it should be.  So I am assuming you aren't taking classes right now?

good luck with everything!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards