Students
Options

What is wrong with people???

So I am smack dab in the middle of finals week in pharmacy school and was talking to one of my friends who isn't in pharmacy school. I was talking about how difficult my finals were and she is like, 'what, it's not like its hard. Isn't it just pure memorization? It's so easy! Aren't you just going to count by 5's anyway??"!!! Um, what??? Really?! It's funny because she isn't in any sort of advanced program and still does not know what she wants to do with her life. Why do people have to be so rude??

Re: What is wrong with people???

• Options
    Punch her in the gut.

As the daughter of a pharmacist and friend of another pharmacist and an aspiring pre-pharm chem major, I'm offended right there along with you.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Hawaii with my best friend =)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I hate when people are presumptuous (sp?)!!!

I'm an ag major, and while I totally agree, your major is MUCH harder than mine, people are constantly assuming ag is easy/not real science...Environmental Soil Physics anyone?  grrr
    Mrs. Wiggins image
  • Options
    I hate it whenever anyone tries to say their major/job is harder than anyone else's! But I can't believe anyone would even try to say a pharm major's finals are easy...how does that make sense?!
  • Options
    It doesn't make sense at all. But according to her (she is my MOH BTW haha), why do I even need to study? It's so easy. UGH. Well, people are interesting I guess. I hate when people start talking about something they have absolutely no knowledge of.
  • Options
    Dated a pharmacy major while in college and was friends with a bunch of chemical engineering majors.  Never in a million years do I think my work as an attorney is more difficult than theirs.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    My daughter is an occupational therapy major,  two tests  away from her last semester of her undergrad.  She called me one day and was so ticked off because a girl she knew basicly  told her that DD's  advanced anatomy and physiology classes could not be near as difficult than her public speaking and basic algebra class.  Go figure!!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_wrong-people?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:f27e738e-9a8b-43a0-be81-e302681540baPost:ce458f19-705f-462a-aa60-9ce80b760c31">Re: What is wrong with people???</a>:
    [QUOTE]My daughter is an occupational therapy major,  two tests  away from her last semester of her undergrad.  She called me one day and was so ticked off because a girl she knew basicly  told her that DD's  advanced anatomy and physiology classes could not be near as difficult than her public speaking and basic algebra class.  Go figure!!
    Posted by nannewmur[/QUOTE]
    BAHAHAHAHA
    Let's just say...I can successfully complete a public speaking or basic algebra class. Advanced A&P would mess with my mind. I had to work my butt off to do well in basic A&P! That girl is delusional at best.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Im a nursing student. I have to take two semesters of pharmacology....it hurts my brain. As does A&P. I have had people say to me "oh thats easy!" they think differently when i read them a EASY question out of the book. Funny thing is, I got a new advisor mid semester, I still have to take nutrition, and she informed me "its not about cooking like i thought years ago. Its all chemistry related, and really hard." She looked at me like Im nuts when i said "yeah...and..." The only medical science related classes i will say are way easy are chemistry. because public speaking, algebra, and not knowing waht i want to do with my life hurts my brain too. *sarcasm...rolls eyes*
  • Options
    Lol, I am kind of glad that other people go through this with other careers and not just me. I guess people just say stupid stuff, huh. I would never think to criticize another person's career or how difficult they think it is.
  • Options
    I actually got this as a music major in undergrad. Granted, I didn't have a lot of "homework" per se, but I would spend hours a day in rehearsals, lessons, and practice rooms. It was physically and emotionally exhausting. If I got sick for a week, my quarter was basically over. Sometimes I would even break down and cry in the practice room. My non-musician roommates used to tell me that I didn't have a "real" major simply because I didn't spend that much time at my desk studying. I'm sorry, but that's rude and hurtful no matter what field it is. It's hard to study singing because when you have to fix things vocally, it's like having to fix yourself. You ARE your instrument and it's really difficult to separate your voice from yourself as a person.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_wrong-people?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:f27e738e-9a8b-43a0-be81-e302681540baPost:33cfd67c-5ebd-40d5-bd71-8f952929cd97">Re: What is wrong with people???</a>:
    [QUOTE]You know, I almost majored in music. But the amount of hours it would have required definitely changed my mind. Kuddos to you for doing it! Besides, practicing = studying!
    Posted by SCBojangles1138[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks! And practicing is <em>totally</em> studying. What's your instrument/area?</div>
  • Options
    I'm in my third semester of nursing school and am due to graduate in May... I think its ridiculous when people tell me "how hard can it be to put a band aid on?" seriously... I mean SERIOUSLY!!! There is so much more to it then that! I think people know so much less then we do when it comes to our professions and they need to keep their mouths shut! Its so much more then memorization and knowing how to count!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_wrong-people?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:f27e738e-9a8b-43a0-be81-e302681540baPost:45a46b95-4a87-4ca2-94af-058c70215972">What is wrong with people???</a>:
    [QUOTE] 'what, it's not like its hard. Isn't it just pure memorization? It's so easy! Aren't you just going to count by 5's anyway??"!!!
    Posted by MyWedding13[/QUOTE]

I'm going to run with the assumption that your friend thinks that all you have to do is learn to count out pills to fill prescriptions.  Of course, I know she's completely wrong and has no clue as to what you're acutally learning and what your responsibilities will be.  That said, if she pulls a stunt like that again, just show her a textbook and ask her if she can count it by 5's. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • Options
    This is my third year of pharmacy school and know what it is like to deal with people with this attitude. I don't know how many times I have bit my tongue, or how many times I have just let people have it. The best thing I ever did was decide to live by myself so I wouldn't have to put up with people who had regular majors. Thankfully, I only have one more semester of classes!!!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_wrong-people?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:f27e738e-9a8b-43a0-be81-e302681540baPost:c8ae2bda-b34a-4882-bbfd-bdea65f3b002">Re: What is wrong with people???</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is wrong with people??? :  So many people only think of drs as saving lives, but nurses do too!
    Posted by mteach1[/QUOTE]

Nurses are the ones that spend time with the patients.  MDs couldn't function without us.  And many of them are rude/unappreciative.  More House than Grays Anatomy.

I've been an OR nurse for over 20 years now and still get "that's not real nursing" line. I'm three years into the prereqs to start an RN-to-BSN/MSN program.  It's not been easy working full time and going to school.  This is the first semester I've only taken one class and that's because I didn't want to try stats and chemistry and full time work all at once.
    C+D, Four kids, two kids-in-law, four grandkids
  • Options
    Im a PharmD major as well (in my 5th year! yayyy 1 & 1/2 more to goo!!) and I hear this crap ALL the time. Just brush it off and move on. I hope you did well during finals!! 

(I have one more tomorrow, but I'm pretty confident so far!- Wish me luck!)
  • Options
     I have had comments the complete opposite that I picked a hard major. I'm a paralegal student. I think it's a easy major.
     I do have a high respect for nurses. My grandmother was a nurse. My best-friend (MOH) is starting her nursing journey.
    Also I play a clarinet so I know studying music is hard.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards