Students
Options

WWYD? (long)

So I got engaged in December 2010 and FI and I began planning for a March 2013 wedding.  That is...until I got accepted into nursing school.  I was accepted into an acclerated BSN program begining May 2012 and ending 14 months later.  This would mean our wedding would take place during midterms of my senior semester...ouch!

Now, I have always done well in school and already have a bachelors in medicine and have been an EMT since I was 18 so i'm not worried about the content of the program but the amount of work that is entailed (since it is acclerated) AND all the comes with planning a wedding.  We have discussed moving the wedding to march 2012 but we would have to really cut our budget by 3/4 and it could also affect my eligibility for financial aid.  But I'm not sure if I want to wait 3  years either.

Have any of you girls run into this problem?  I'm jsut afraid to regret not having the wedding I've always wanted but I cant screw up school either.  FI is fine with either decision...and I think I know the right choice is waiting.  (And no there is no changing the month...march is a very significant month for both FI and I so that will remain the same).  I'm just wondering what the pro's and con's were for anyone else in this situation.  Did you decide to plan the wedding and do school at the same time....did you feel like you bit off more than you could chew?  I'm just so bummed and looking for a way to feel better about whatever decision I make.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: WWYD? (long)

• Options
    Honestly, if you don't feel like you can handle it, and you still want the wedding that you were planning on, I would push it back.  FI and I are waiting until I finish grad school to have the wedding, so it'll be 2014.  What's a year in the grand scheme of things?  You guys are going to spend the rest of your lives together.  And that's what this is about.  Spending your lives together.  But you already knew that ;-)

I know it sucks to wait, I don't want to wait until 2014, but FI and I are more than likely going to be long distance through my masters program.  He told me the other day that he wants to plan this thing with me in the same room, not over the phone or skype, and so we're planning for a year after I graduate.  Besides, that gives us time to save up more money, which we can use to splurge for the venue we love.  If you guys wait another year, that's another year of savings that you have for either a splurge in your wedding, or starting for a house or whatever you guys need.  

Not all bad, right?
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I'd probably push my wedding back. :(

I wouldn't want to get married during midterms (or mess up financial aid) but I also wouldn't want to cut my budget and not have the wedding I truly want.

It basically comes down to this: what's more important to you-- being married soon or having the wedding you want a year later?

Good luck! It's not an easy position to be in.

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    A wedding isn't worth messing with your education.  You'll be married in the end either way, and a year isn't that long to wait.  Also, you will enjoy the planning more if its over more time and your not stressed about it. 
  • Options
    Personally, I will never understand the 'We have to get married in THIS month because it's special to us' mentality, but if you really feel that way, push it a whole year back.  I think that getting married during the school year, especially March (generally that's around midterms) is setting yourself up for unnecessary stress.  Even if you can handle the material, it will be a lot of work.  Wedding planning doesn't really have to be a ton of work, but it can  be very stressful depending on your plans and your families, plus you will likely want to take some time off and that may be impossible.  I don't think it's worth it, I would wait.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am finishing up my nursing program right now (42 days!!) and I couldn't imagine piling on getting married during this semester. I'm ready to pull my hair out without that added stress. Also the finanical aid thing would be huge for me. You need to take into consideration all the things that aren't tution and add up quickly (ie state registeration for your license, NCLEX, we had to have a criminal background check for the state, cap and gown, pin for pinning, etc etc). I'm not trying to discourage you but if it were me I would wait a year ( that's actually what we're doing. I'll graduate in May  and get married june 2012

June2012 Siggy for March:Honeymoon in Panama City Beach
    image 288 Invited so far!
    image 48 Are ready to party!
    image 34 Will be missing out!
    image 206 Are MIA!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    SteveandKrisSteveandKris member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011
    what's a bachelors in medicine?
  • Options
    If you already got accepted into the nursing program, why do you have to wait a year until next May? Don't you usually get accepted for the next semester (fall)?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_wwyd-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:fb812c59-7023-49f8-86dd-2959c7997a93Post:29b455e6-050b-4c35-831f-186462e89936">Re: WWYD? (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you already got accepted into the nursing program, why do you have to wait a year until next May? Don't you usually get accepted for the next semester (fall)?
    Posted by nicolepmarinelli@hotmail.com[/QUOTE]

Accelerated programs don't necessarily run on the same schedule as regular nursing school. I got accepted to an accelerated nursing program for second degree students  in January and the program starts in May (tomorrow actually) and runs 4 semesters. It starts during the summer term every year, you can't start any other term. That's just how the program is set up. There are only 30 spots in the program each year and it takes significantly less time than a traditional nursing program so you just have to deal with how the program chooses to schedule things.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards