California-Inland Empire

CA budget cuts

With the LA firefighters having budget cuts that will mean less firefighters and paramedics. Seeing as how So Cal always manages to set itself on fire every summer it just seems like such a bad time to cut budgets for something so valuable. Do you ever wonder just exactly where all the money goes?! I mean, if we don't have money for teachers and firefighters then what do we have money for?

Re: CA budget cuts

• edited December 2011
    I wonder allllll the time. I've been wondering when the first started saying "We don't have much money." Ummmm, are you kidding me. We are one of thee most populated states in the US and we are the most broke! How the eff did that happen?

• edited December 2011
    Exactly. We have some of the highest taxes, most populated and yet we are broke?! Just doesnt makes sense. I dont understand how, on top of all that, we still have the money for parades and to host funerals for pop stars. No offense but I would much rather see my tax dollars go to teachers and firefighters.
  • sv4338sv4338 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im wtih u on the whole parade and MJ thing. Yes the parade brought in $ and yes the Lakers definately deserved it but hey if we're broke we're broke!As far as MJ funeral that was a total waste of tax dollars :0( yes its sad someones son, brother, friend died and my heart goes out to the people who "knew and loved him" but it should not of been done at our expense that really pisses me off!
  • sdkissezsdkissez member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    California also has the 5th largest GNP in the world.  Go figure that we can't seem to find money to pay for the people who we truly need!
  • edited December 2011
    The parade was fully funded privately.  The city was not going to have it if they had to pay.  As for MJ's memorial thing.  Totally F'd up that the city had to pay.  Pisses me off with teachers getting laid off.  And now the firefighters...WTF?  So so so wrong!
    CRAFTY ME

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    my read shelf:
    Kasi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    I might be wrong but I thought that the city funded a portion of the parade. I know originally they were going to fund the entire thing but the team and some private parties stepped in to help with the cost.
  • edited December 2011
    I only have the info the news broadcast and last I heard the parade was fully funded through private parties.  Things may have changed since I heard that since it was before the parade happened.
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
    Kasi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    OK so I looked it up.  Originally LA was going to foot half of the bill but that caused an uproar.  I briefly glanced at the article but it looks like 2 people funded the city's half of the parade so the city dished $0 out.
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
  • edited December 2011
    Well that makes me feel better but I will still like to know why our state is in the crapper?! I guess I am just really upset about the teachers and firefighters :(
  • sdkissezsdkissez member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The city shouldn't have paid for either under any circumstance with our economy the way it is.  However, what really pisses me off is that the city wasn't going to have the parade if they had to pay any part of the parade; yet, they were willing to pay for MJ's memorial.  Priorities are seriously screwed up. If anything, they should have been more willing to pay for their "team" then pay for a pop star who didn't even have his house in their county.  Plus, he was a world icon, not an LA icon..............
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards