California-Inland Empire

What do you do exactly?

So I pretty much know everyone's job title but what exactly does your job entail?  What do you do in enough detail that we can get a good idea.
CRAFTY ME

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
my read shelf:
Kasi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: What do you do exactly?

• hischiquita!hischiquita! member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do customer service- answer & route phone calls, as well as answer any customer questions. I call on accounts that owe us money and tell them to pay up. I enter Sales Order, Purchase Orders and Invoices. I do all the filling, I write letters for my boss, and proofread ads that go in to magazines or on our products. I make the shipping labels for UPS. I take care of any personal issues with my boss too: traffic school, lawsuits, insurance paperwork. I Knot!!!- best part of my job. I'm sure there's more but I can't remember.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I work at a construction company type place but we deal with mostly insurance claims.  I don't even know what my title is really.  They have me down as a Clerk 2 or something like that...that job description says nothing about what I actually do.  I do collections which means I call both insurance companies, homeowners, and mortgage companies to find out when we're going to be paid.  I hate this part of the job.I also do accounts receivable and payable.  I enter all open purchase orders, match them up to invoices when they come in, and enter those and pay them.  I have to keep up to date on our subcontractors and vendors and send them letters or call when their insurance has expired.On top of that I order all big items that may be needed at a construction site like the toilets, fences, storage containers, and dumpsters.  I call in utilities as well.I also verify employee timecards daily and just verify their OT and clock in/out etc and get that all ready for payroll.In other words, I do a lot more than I get paid for.
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
    Kasi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    Oh yea, I do all the UPS shipping as well...why?  Shouldn't the front desk do it?  I guess because I send out samples to be tested I am the "shipper".  It's annoying to take time out of my day to ship some personal item for a family member of the owner.I am the backup on the front desk if there's no one there which means I have to take insurance claims and prepare all the paperwork for it.  It's rare that this happens though.  I can't think of anything else.
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
  • edited December 2011
    hischiquita, we do similar things at work.  :P
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
  • edited December 2011
    What type of company do you work at hischiquita?
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also do the office supply ordering and send and revise samples from China. I work for a horse protective wear company. Don't ask me anything about horses, I know nothing!!! Now ask me how to run and manage an office and I can do that.  
  • edited December 2011
    HAHA!  That's funny!  How do you answer customer questions then?I had to learn how to read the construction estimates.  I figured that one early on when adjusters started asking me questions about them.  I was sooo lost!  I didn't know any construction terminology when I started.  Now I'm almost a pro and can probably write the estimates now...uh, yea righ...just kidding.  The guys here get all happy and proud when we start throwing out the terminology they didn't know I knew!  LOL  They're funny.  I kind of HAVE to know when I ask for $ and people start asking questions about the estimates.
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
  • edited December 2011
    DH and I own a franchise in a communications business. We have an office in Redlands and a home office. We pick our schedules, so we have some appointments during the day and work in the early evenings sometimes. But I am usually home during the day, or out running random errands. I have a bachelors degree in Administration with a focus in healthcare, but I don't work with it at all and I don't intend to. Sometimes I help with the phones or I'll sell a house at BIL's business in Yucaipa (with Sandy who knows Kasi) but I'm not there very often. And today, my job description entails returning more wedding gifts, which I am off to do right now.
  • edited December 2011
    What type of communications company is it?  I admire people that own their own business.  Andrew wants to but neither of us have the drive.  Him and his friends are always coming up with business ideas that seem like they'd work but no one ever gets moving.
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know about our products but not about horses. Most of the questions are about what the products does, how does it fit, warranty issues, etc. so nothing about an actual horse! This is just a job for me, I have my bachelors in Liberal Studies and hope to become a teacher soon (that is when CA starts hiring teachers!). My FI has his own business, but believe me, I wish he had a regular 9-5 job so that I could spend more time with him. The thing about owning ur own company is that you can't leave work at work, it leaks into your personal life because it is your life, but cant complain about the pay! :) and he can take vacations whenever he wants but doesnt like to be away from work so much.
  • edited December 2011
    What type of business does he own hischiquita?My job is just a job as well.  I STILL haven't figured out what I want to be when I grow up.  Once I finish my BA maybe something will trigger and I'll know...doubt it.
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He owns a trucking company. He has 5 trucks right now and transports fuel. He has enough employees to run all 5 trucks but he still drives and delivers fuel because he feels useless if he doesnt do it. :) That man, I tell you, is so full of energy, he doesn't know what to do with himself when he has a day off!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Wow!  That's way cool.  Well, if he does the work himself you save $!! 
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah it's cool. I'm so excited and proud of him. He just decided that's what he wanted to do and put his mind to it and did it all by himself. I admire him for working hard at it and having it be what it is today. His best friend is my boss and the owner of the company I work at, and even though he works hard, I see the different mentality in what FI did and my boss just getting the bussines from daddy. Yeah it does save us money, but still wish he didn't work so dang much, but he's happy so I can't complain.
  • edited December 2011
    HAHA Bre!  You are brave.  I could never handle people talking down to me.  I have to try out this D's Last Resort place!!  What's wrong with the tea & water thing?
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
  • sdkissezsdkissez member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My job entails the following-* Preparing lessons* Grading Papers* Making copies* Going to meetings* Listening to parents make excuses for their kids* Listening to students whine* Going to another meeting* Cleaning and organizing my classroom* Being a role model for my students* Listening and being there for my students when they are having a bad day* Having fun with my students and joking around with them* Going to another meeting* Making sure my students are prepared for state testing, because you know at some point my pay is going to be based on how my students score on their CST's (lame!!)* Balance being a disciplinarian and being a friend to them.* Shaping and educating our future* Confiscating cell phones when they try to use them in class* Attending another pointless meeting* Colloborating with other teachers who always want things done their way.ANd, the list goes on and on................=) BUT, I LOVE it!
  • edited December 2011
    Parents would irk me.  Not all of them but the ones that make excuses like you said. 
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
  • edited December 2011
    The iced tea and water bugs me because 99.999998% of the time, the person never even touches the water. Iced tea is pretty much water! It is such a waist of a resource and my time and bicep!

• edited December 2011
    lol I love iced tea :)I import orders, do customer service, and other random office tasks. I also deal with all claims and returns.....and when the mood strikes work in the warehouse.Mark is an electrician and does pretty much everything :)
  • mrs.payne2010mrs.payne2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    so i sell and service insurance.....we sell ALL insuance and i love processing the apps but i do hate the petty service work. things like changing coverages, changing address's, changing vehicles, adding drivers...stuff like that is so boring and such a waste of time...i also handle most claims for our customers even though we should, i guess you can say i go above and beyond the call!! lol...other then that i love it, you become attached to the customers and thats the best part. so if any one needs insurance let me know..!!!
  • edited December 2011
    hmmm, we're looking into the cost of insurance on boats....
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
  • mrs.payne2010mrs.payne2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    insurance on boats isn't too bad...and you said that you had statefarm already for your home and car right?? yeah it won't be bad...now if you get more then one seadoo you wil have to insure each one seperatly still not that bad though...i know my dad has two and has them insured for 6000 each and its like 25 a month....
  • edited December 2011
    That's not bad at all!  Yea, St. Farm fot he house and 1 vehicle.  Love them so far!
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards