California-Inland Empire
Options

Marriage License Question

Hi ladies,

My pastor is registered as an officiant in Los Angeles county, but we are getting married in Riverside county. Do we need to apply for our marriage license in Riverside county? The Riverside website says that my pastor would have to go apply to be our officiant in person, and I would feel really bad making him drive all the way out there!

Re: Marriage License Question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh I have no idea! That is a good question because my officiant is in the OC and I live in IE. I'll ask my officiant and see what he says. He's done thousands of weddings so he has probably encountered this a few times. However, LA might be a different story.

• Options
    lauralazerlauralazer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm...no clue!

If you get married outside of the county you live in, which county issues the license?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Options
    mctlongmctlong member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In California, the rules differ by county.

We registered in Los Angeles County and we're getting married in Orange County. Our officient is registered in LA County. The LA County clerk told us we could get married in OC (or anywhere in the state), but the officiant had to sign and mail the license certificate (provided by Los Angeles County) back to LA county.

Los Angeles County required that we (My FI and I) show up together, in person with state-issued IDs, to be issued the marriage license. The county did not allow the officiant to get the license for us.
  • Options
    MrsTucker2011MrsTucker2011 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-inland-empire_marriage-license-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:69Discussion:103c4c74-57aa-4a64-abde-04f053a8d09ePost:19121a2f-db38-4a93-a477-a33d38b3e520">Re: Marriage License Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In California, the rules differ by county. We registered in Los Angeles County and we're getting married in Orange County. Our officient is registered in LA County. The LA County clerk told us we could get married in OC (or anywhere in the state), but the officiant had to sign and mail the license certificate (provided by Los Angeles County) back to LA county. Los Angeles County required that we (My FI and I) show up together, in person with state-issued IDs, to be issued the marriage license. The county did not allow the officiant to get the license for us.
    Posted by mctlong[/QUOTE]

That's helpful. I'm going to have to look up on what we're doing.
    Anniversary An engaged woman is always more agreeable than a disengaged. She is satisfied with herself. Her cares are over, and she feels that she may exert all her powers of pleasing without suspicion. All is safe with a lady engaged; no harm can be done. ~Jane Austen BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards