California-Inland Empire

Dress Shopping

I'm sort of flipping out about going dress shopping.  I've been putting it off because I'm really self concious of my body and wanted to loose a little more weight than I have so far by this point.  But, I know I need to get on it!! So I guess my question is, what is the timeline with the dress..? Once I find one how long does the whole process take including fittings and all that.  I know absolutly nothing about wedding dresses or shopping. 

Also, unfortunetly for me, my parents ran off to vegas to get married, so my mom is just as lost as I am, and I'm the oldest daughter/cousin/granddaughter in my family so
I'm literally the first one going through this!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Dress Shopping

• edited December 2011
    You will find a dress that flatters your body shape.  Ask the sales person to help you with that part but definitely try on all the styles you like to get an idea of what looks good on you.  Once you find your dress you either buy it of fthe rack or order it.  That all depends on if they have your size there. 

If you order it it can take 6 weeks, shorter or longer depending on the shop you go to and where they are ordering from.

As for fitting, you don't go until a few months before the wedding.  I think I went in June for my first fitting and my wedding was in September.  It takes a few weeks for them to hem it based on the seemstress' business.  I had 3 fittings altogether.  Initial fitting, second one was to make sure it fit and to see what else to hem, and the final a month or so before the wedding. 

Then there's getting the dress pressed so there's no wrinkles.  You want to do this for your dress and veil.  I took mine in 2 weeks before the wedding and picked it up a week or so before the big day.

The whole dress shopping thing was fun for me.  Make sure you try on many dresses.  If you like one don't jump and buy it right away.  You have to be absolutely sure!!  I didn't try too many on and jumped at the first one I loved....turned out a few motnhs later I diidn't love it so much but i was stuck with it.  Have fun withthe experience and don't stress out.  Don't be self conscious about your body...you will find something out there that compliments you.   

Where do you plan to go shopping?

CRAFTY ME

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    my read shelf:
    Kasi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • hischiquita!hischiquita! member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My wedding is in March and I ordered my dress in November. I waited too long but it does come in in February so that I means I have a month for fittings!!! I'm a lil stressed and hope it comes in sooner than expected.

I too was a little worried and self concious about this process, but trust me you will look beautiful in a wedding dress. I'm bigger than you are and I found a dress that's completely flattering and can't wait to wear.

Regardless of body shape you will find a dress that looks great on you. Just the feeling of wearing a wedding dress is amazing!!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • desi2002desi2002 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got my dress in december (1 year away from my wedding) but it was the dream dress I 've been wanting. I actually didn't expect to go shopping untill June this year, but I had gotten a davids bridal giftcard for $50 and the dress was on sale for $250 (reg price $699) so it was a must do. My dress is a corset lace up, so it will fit me regardless, but I have started my diet!
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic me and my daddy
  • mrs.payne2010mrs.payne2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i agree with kasi, the sales people do know whats best for your body so you may want to be open to there opinions. dont worry you will be fine and remember its suppossed to be a fun thing!
  • edited December 2011

When I ordered my dress they told me 5/6 months for it to come in. So far they have called to update me to tell me that it is in production and should be here within that time frame. I could have paid extra to get it rushed but I didn't need to.

I agree with everyone else. Go try some on. A good sales person will know what will look good on you. Just have fun with it. You only get to do it once =)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards