40-Plus Brides

Introducing myself...and older bride with an even older Matron of Honor

I'm 51, he'll soon be 61. This is my 2nd, his 1st. We became engaged 2 weeks before last Christmas, and planning a 2nd wedding is something that I never thought I'd be doing. Happily that's not the case. We'll be getting married on July 28 of 2013, smallish wedding with family and close friends.
My problem is that I decided to ask a friend and former employer whom I became very close too to be my Matron of Honor. She'll be 66 next year. I forgot when I asked her to be in the wedding how picky she is about her clothes. She's a plus size, but not as plus size as she thinks she is. I think she looks great. The problem we're having is finding something that we both like. I already have my dress, and I'm trying to find something that is not the same as mine but at least goes with the simpler idea that I had for our wedding. We're looking at Mother of the Bride dresses because the Bridesmaid dresses are geared to the younger girls.
Any suggestions on this would be really helpful, or if anyone would just like to share their experiences with me that would be great!
Thanks so much!

Re: Introducing myself...and older bride with an even older Matron of Honor

• Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2012
    I suggest making an appointment at Nordstrom with someone in the Personal Touch department.  Even if they don't find "the" dress, they may have some suggestions to point you in the right direction.  Good luck!

And ... congratulations on your engagement and upcoming wedding.  Enjoy it all!
  • Yes, Nordstroms or Lord & Taylor....really any higher end store that provides a more personal shopping experience.
  • We chose something from the Special Occasion separates by Alfred Angelo for my maid of honor and bridesmaids (all in their mid-to-late 40s and plus size).  They look great on them!
  • You might check out Igigi.  They have only plus-sized dresses, but with figure-flattering styles.
  • Thanks for your input ladies. I've checked out a few of the places you've suggested and I've found a couple of ideas. You're right, MOB dresses are mostly frumpy. My dress is chiffon with V neck. Rushing on the bodice with wider straps. There are flowers with rhinestone centers on the front of one strap and the back of the other. It has a gathered piece down the front, with a satin sash.Pretty simple. If you want to look it up it's Eden Bridals # SL001.
    oh and thanks for the laugh! I love the pic!!Wink
  • Get out of the WEDDING / MOB stores.
    Go to a department store and shop in the Special Occasions department or Cocktail department.  In the south, I'd suggest Dillards, Macy's, and Nordstrom.  Not sure what you have in Illinois...
  • Great news! We found her a dress that we can both live with! We have her all outfitted from head to toe all in one shop, and all in a matter of 2 1/2 hours! We found a "Ursula" tiered dress that really flatters her full figure, and we found her some really pretty low heels that we can dye to match. Thanks again ladies for your input. I really appreciate your help!
  • Congratulations! In our book LOVE FOR GROWN-UPS: The Garter Brides Guide to Marrying For Life When You've already Got a Life" we interviewed countless women, all of whom married over the age of 35.  They had all kinds of weddings and the bridal gowns they wore ranged from traditional gown to a pinafore.  The important thing with your Matron of Honor is that you both like what she will wear and that she'll be happy and comfortable in the dress.  Why don't you select some things in an on-line catalog and show them to her.  Give her an idea of exactly what you think will go with your dress.
    The Garter Brides are a sisterhood of women who married a little later in life and have happy and fulfilling lives with their husbands.
    Happy Wedding.  Enjoy your wonderful day. You deserve it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards