40-Plus Brides
Options

Is Hyphenating Outmoded? (XP)

Does anyone hyphenate anymore? I'm thinking of using Jane Smith-Doe rather than Jane Smith Doe. I also want to keep my middle name, so Jane Karen Smith-Doe. 
Is hyphenating still done, or it considered outmoded?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Is Hyphenating Outmoded? (XP)

• Options
    I'm gonna be Fernella Smythe Polo.  I don't have a middle name and I want to keep my maiden name as it's a little unusual.
  • Options

i think its a personal thing

• Options
    I don't think it's outmoded.  But the original idea behind hyphenating is that both partners would do it.  If you're hyphenating and he isn't, then you still have all the hassle of a name change, while still ending up with different last names.

That being said, it's a personal decision.  If it's what you want to do, then no one else's opinion matters.
  • Options
    I hyphenated my daugther's name when she was born, 26 years ago, because I didn't change my name when I got married to her dad (divorced 17 years later, and now remarried).  I find that younger people who have hyphenated names are largely like my daughter, whose parents use different names. 

I consulted a lawyer a number of years ago about this, and interestingly, he advised that if you do hyphenate your name, that you put your birth name at the end, because most people will drop the first name, and only use the last.  That is to say that if your name is Suzie Smith-Jones, someone meeting you for the first time may say "How do you do, Ms. Jones."   
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    Not outdated.
    I teach at a college where the average age is 35,
    and probably half of the girls are married,
    and of the girls who are married,
    half of them have chosen to hyphenate their maiden name with the groom's name.
  • Options
    I will be hyphenating my "professional" name because I know people will get confused when I start using the "married" name.  But I'm gong to take my sweet-ar$ed time doing all the name changing.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_40-plus-brides_hyphenating-your-last-name-xp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:69dea60c-2319-4015-8380-4a5cc0f18476Discussion:67d3b007-7144-4eee-ad12-cedba88fb573Post:33a5164a-c19b-4a15-8235-12affd94ab1c">Is Hyphenating Outmoded? (XP)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does anyone hyphenate anymore? I'm thinking of using Jane Smith-Doe rather than Jane Smith Doe. I also want to keep my middle name, so Jane Karen Smith-Doe.  Is hyphenating still done, or it considered outmoded?
    Posted by PJSPJS[/QUOTE]
    It is definitely not outmoded!  And it is a personal decision.  Some women find it necessary for professional reasons.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards