40-Plus Brides

Dress ideas...

My mom (early 50's) is getting married the end of September (and I couldn't be more thrilled and happy for her!) and planning a small, casual backyard wedding with immediate family/close friends.  Right now she's having trouble settling on a dress. 

She is adamant that she does NOT want a traditional wedding dress, and anything white/ivory is completely out.  The problem is, every place we've looked so far is either too formal (looks like Mother of the Bride) or too casual (looks like the church lady, lol).  Likewise, everything appears either too youthful or too elderly.  She does't want to look "bridal" but she rightly wants to stand out as the bride, and I'm running out of suggestions to give her.  I know it's a tall order, but does anyone have any ideas where to look for plus-size, semi-casual dresses?  Thanks in advance!

Re: Dress ideas...

• Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited July 2012

It sounds as though you've only been looking at bridal stores. Check the major retailers like Macy's, Penney's, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Saks Fifth Avenue. She probably wants a more casual type of cocktail dress.

The picture below is me in the "reception dress" I changed into at my wedding last year. It was what is called a "destination wedding" dress. The dress was floor length and I had it shortened into a "hi-low", about knee length in the front, above the hell in the back. And I am in my late 50's, so age doesn't matter if you want to look nice.

I know your mom doesn't want white, or really dressy, but she IS the bride. You can probably find something a bit toned down by looking at any of the retailers I mentioned above, look for the type of thing she might wear if she were a guest at an evening wedding. That should be available at any of them.

Good luck. You sound like a great daughter trying to help out your mom.........she should be proud.

• She might want to check out Igigi.  They are a plus-sized only store.  However, unlike other plus-sized dresses, theirs don't look like they were designed by Omar the Tent Maker--they have really figure-flattering designs.  I got the dress I wore to my son's wedding from them.

• I recommend Nordstrom, Talbots or Saks.  Good luck!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_40-plus-brides_dress-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:69dea60c-2319-4015-8380-4a5cc0f18476Discussion:86044c0b-be77-4b46-8b0e-f103c32c6536Post:5688e096-4af0-4b92-ab5a-303e610d9dc2">Re: Dress ideas...</a>:
    [QUOTE]She might want to check out Igig i.  They are a plus-sized only store.  However, unlike other plus-sized dresses, theirs don't look like they were designed by Omar the Tent Maker--they have really figure-flattering designs.  I got the dress I wore to my son's wedding from them.
    Posted by 2dBride[/QUOTE]

That is a <u>sexy</u> dress, 2d!
  • I second Nordstrom's etc.  Maybe look at bridesmaid dresses too.
  • Got my 2-piece dress from Dillards in the cocktail dress section.
    Looks like Carrie's dress from the courthouse wedding in the "Sex&TheCity" first movie.
    Kind of looks like Diane Keaton's Mother Of The Bride dress in the "Father of the Bride" movie remake with Steve Martin.

My mom wore a dress from the Delta Burke collection (she's a TV actrress best known for the TV series "Designing Women" - you probably knew that) - that was a 2-piece cocktail-type dress that your mom might like.  Could check that out...
  • Mine is a bridesmaid dress in a flowy fabric (cause I think satin makes me look HUGE!) in blue. Maybe check out some bridesmaid dresses? I've gotten some nice cocktail dresses from Macy's too.
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I am getting married for the third time and did not want traditional. I purchased a navy blue mother of the bride dress from David's. It has rouching that is very flattering for my not flat mid area. It is stunning, but do plan on having the slit closed up a little. Congratulations!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards