40-Plus Brides
Options

Am I Obligated To Pay For Bridesmaid

I live in FL. and at first I was going to get married here.  My friend went with me to a bridal show and went with me to a few places to look for dresses so I felt I should ask her to be in the wedding.  I was trying to keep the wedding party as small as possible.  She has no money or job and I don't know how she survives so I told her she would have to buy a dress and I understood if she couldn't do it.  She said yes.  Months later I decided to have the wedding in NY because that is where we are from and where most of our family and friends are.  We hadn't even looked at BM dresses yet and I told her since the wedding was in NY I understood if she wouldn't be able to make it.  I didn't expect her to be able to go.  She said yes, she still wanted to be in the wedding and go to NY.  So she bought the dress, not expensive, and went for alterations and has been complaining that it was almost $100.  Now she's concerned it may need further alterations and how much it will be.  I already told her I would pay for at least 1 night of her hotel.  Am I a bad friend if I don't offer to pay for additional alterations and her flight to NY?  She's been driving up to Canada to see her now ex-boyfriend play with his band but I have no idea how she was able to afford that.  She's now been telling me how she has no money and how much her mortgage is.  I'm wondering if she is expecting me to offer to pay for some of the her wedding cost.  We only have 1 income in the house and my fiancé just started working again after being laid off for a year.  We are paying for the wedding ourselves and it is coming out of our savings.  Am I being a bad friend if I don't offer to pay for some more of her expenses?