40-Plus Brides
Options

Registry in your 40s?

Hi all - my bf (fiance to be) and I are in our mid 40s. I have waited a long time for the guy I want to share my life with and my girlfriend and my work will both have showers for me, which will be really great. But, at my age, I have a lot of stuff, so I struggle to think of things.Also-my house has a lot of antiques, so I don't like/want a lot of modern stuff. And, I'm a greenie, so I like stuff that is eco friendly. It makes it very hard to register when your tastes run to green and antique - LOL. 

I was thinking maybe a honeymoon fund would be the best thing. Some friends did that and I loved buying them massages at the spa!  The bf and I haven't talked honeymoon - we're not engaged yet, just talking about our future. I wish more places carried green/organic stuff. 

I saw one registry where you could buy a certain portion of a hotel room overnight, or a certain portion of the honeymoon airfare. It was like she just set it up so you could buy parts of their honeymoon. I thought it was cool. Maybe I should contact my friend to see how she did that. 

Wasn't sure if I should post this on registry or here, but I just felt that the group here would relate to this so much more. Any ideas for the registry? Thanks so much!
Daring to dream a bigger dream

Re: Registry in your 40s?

• Options
    You guys are AWESOME!!!! Love all of your honest feedback and good ideas. I've read (and was surprised!) at how many people are against old fashioned about honeymoon registries. I think they are so fabulous - not just for me - but I LOVE doing them for my friends. Instead of giving money that I don't know how it will be spent, I can give them something they'll enjoy.

I do like the wide variety of ideas everyone's suggested. I do need better sheets, I do need better towels, my everyday silverware set is only for four - really could use a set of 8 or 12; and I love quality table linens - mine are all in pretty bad shape.  I am SO pitifully practical, and eco conscious that it seems a little wasteful to buy new stuff when what I have works fine. I know, I know, you're all laughing. Yes, over the years I have spent tons of money on wedding gifts and it is my turn. I just as of yet can't envision a registry with enough stuff for a personal and large work shower.

I have two sets of antique china, silver, tons of antique glassware, tons of antique trays, bowls, etc. 

Also,  I'm not sure I need enough from any one store to register there. Then the green issue - if I was buying sheets or towels, I'd buy organic.  I love antiques, so I'd get myself some more antique crystal wine glasses (mine have broken over the years) from an estate sale - cheap and green. ;)

Just thinking out loud here - thanks for letting me just think through my thoughts. Maybe I need to go to BBB and WS and see what's even on there. 

• Options
    Another good idea - I thought about that - Amazon. Most of my friends are very tech savvy - most of my family is not. Maybe I could do one on Amazon and one somewhere else...thanks!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards