40-Plus Brides
Options

Sapphire engagement ring dreams!

Hi there! New here.

I need some help from you sapphire engagement ring ladies...can you provide any advise on selecting a sparkling sapphire ring? Since this is my second engagement, I'm going the less traditional route. 

I'm having some difficulties visually seeing 2.5+ carat sapphires as they appear on a hand, especially halo style (pink or blue). Can anyone post pics for me??

much appreciated, heidi

Re: Sapphire engagement ring dreams!

• Options
    I have a sapphire. My favorite stone is tanzanite, but it's too soft for an everyday ring. So I chose a sapphire the same color as tanzanite. I love it! When looking for a sapphire, people tell you to get the darkest one. Not true. Look at many and pick the one with the most fire. It may or may not be the richestlooking color. Hmmm....it won't let me post a picture from my phone...I'll get one up soon...
  • Options
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/571/imagedlxb.jpg/ There you go. I think the sapphire is about 4 carats. The band has tiny cherry blossoms and the twisty shape of the band looks like a DNA helix. This suits me, since I adore cherry blossoms and my undergrad degree is in genetics. I spend so much time just admiring it that eventually someone will think it should be taken to Mt. Doom :-)
  • Options
    edited March 2013

Emerald Halo (but same idea)

Great if you like emerald cut stones

Pale cornflower blue (the others I would call ceylon blue, up above)
    accent sapphires, trillion cut

Three stone version (again, more of what I would call a ceylon sapphire)

In case you are not familar, Sri Lanka used to be called Ceylon, and is famous for having had the most vivid, sparkling, pristine (non-inclusion) sapphires.  Thus, the sapphires from Ceylon (before they won their liberty this was their name as a colony, blah blah) are call Ceylon, but often it is also now a quick way to refer to this quality and color of stone.

I throw this in here because this is the setting of my ring ---- my fiance had it custom-made with sapphire elements instead of diamonds (side stones and small stones on side of setting) and has three center stones (it is somewhat of a hybrid of the rings I posted here, but definitely this setting)

• Options
    kryan32kryan32 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper

this isn't a very clear picture... FI took me ring shopping and we picked out this one that we both really liked and then he had the sapphires added to it since they're my favorite stone...

Take care,
    Kim

ring.jpg 123.6K

• Options
    My fiance and I are looking at sapphires, too! I have always loved stones with color and am now sensitive to the whole "blood diamond" thing. Good luck!
  • Options
    Pick something with a high luster if you need it to shine. The higher quality usually the better luster. As for size I am a bit lost. You might try looking up dementions of a 2.5 carrot saphier.
    I have medium hands and the hallo picture with the green is about the size of my ring. It is not too gawdie nor does it get lost on my hand. The fattest part of my ring is about 3.5 mm
  • Options
    Gorgeous rings here. Wow! 
  • Options
    My first engagement ring was a bridal set with a sapphire as the main stone.  We pulled out the diamond and had the jeweler put in a sapphire instead.  He used a market and colored the center stone blue so I could see what it would look like. 
  • Options
    My ceylon sapphire is 6mm square, it's about 1.4 carats. I looked at a bigger one but this one had a better cut and sparkled more. I love it.  

• Options
    I have a sapphire too, started looking at an emerald cut but ended up with a cushion cut sapphire as the center stone with two trapezoid diamonds on either side.  I bought a CZ ring first and after wearing for awhile was 100% sure I wanted a colored center stone!    For some reason I can't get the photos to post, will have to try again later when I have more time.
    We had our dream wedding in Las Vegas - 11.29.2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards