40-Plus Brides

Caterer & budget

I've been searching for a caterer.  What is with some of them?  A few weeks ago I contacted 2- gave details and neither returned my call (I did not mention budget).  So, I went back on the hunt.  Found this awesome place, looks to be anyway.  It's a cooking school. They have a lunchtime cafe and a bakery.   The chef called me right back and was ready to tackle the challenge, heavy apps for an open house of  people coming & going...around 80, but I only expect 60 or less (lots of out of towners or people I know just wont come) He said he could easily work with my budget of $500 and I'd have a proposal by next week. Amen!!! And he has lots of apps.  Now granted, I may end up with PB & J but at least hes willing.  LOL!  He'll give me a set list of apps but I can change them - with a price change I'm sure.

If you'd like to look at the list and give me your thoughts of what you'd want.   I'm a true midwestern girl - the closest I come to foreign food is chicken fried rice and I hate seafood so...maybe ya'll can help.  I do know that he suggested shrimp so that's a yes on the menu already.  (might be sandwiched between the PB & J)

http://fromthefieldcookingschool.com/cateringmenu.html

Created by Wedding Favors

Re: Caterer & budget

• It all looks so yummy!
  • OMG!!!  It all sounds yummy!!!  You can't go wrong with the skewers, anything with bacon in it is usually tasty, the meatballs are pretty safe too and most people will like them.  I don't like seafood either, but you should have 1 or 2 seafood options, depending on many different appetizers you are planning on having.

Now I need to go make my breakfast cause my tummy is growling after reading all those choices!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I really want that choc covered bacon. LOL!
    Created by Wedding Favors
  • Yummmmmmmmm.........BACON................
    Anniversary
  • Vegetarian voice here: potato bites + mushrooms = yum!

Spinach + artichoke dip = excellent.

But I find that lots of people who aren't veg will like those things too.

Retro/Vintage Inspirations

imageimageimage

• needle&threadneedle&thread member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2011
    First...the fact that he is so willing and second the menu is HUGE is awesome...you dont get that many choices when you are paying top dollar!!!

I love shrimp..so I would immediately look for that...gotta have atleast one shrimp thingy...i dont like mushrooms...but most people do...so I would get that too...

Most people are not aware that cooking schools are a great alternative to the high cost/drama caterers.  They are more flexible and eager for the challenge...it helps the students with their internships and they are very eager to 'get it right' while established caterers--especially those that have been mainstreamed--give you a take it or leave it attitude, and then they are off to the next bride.

Make sure you make your guests aware that the 'school' did your food...maybe a blurb on the menu or program...it would be a nice gesture.
    S and CJ image imageWhen is my wedding
    Visit Purple.weddings.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic Cream to my Coffee
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards