40-Plus Brides
Options

Good news: Homeland security clears Alien.

Petition for Alien Fiancé = Approved! (Yes, I get to marry an alien)

So--how many of you have to get your future spouse cleared by Homeland Security? And you thought your family was tough.....

Seriously, though--this is progress, kinda. It's just the beginning of progress. They way it works is you submit an application (which we did in December). It gets reviewed and assessed. You get approval for that petition (which arrived in paper form on Thursday).

But that just gets you to the Consulate interview stage. There's also the the medical exam.  ̶F̶o̶l̶l̶o̶w̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶w̶i̶m̶s̶u̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶e̶t̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶  (no, wait, they stopped that...).

None of these *should* be a barrier. But they are hurdles we still need to jump over.

There's no way to predict how long it will take us to get the documents we need (we've had that piece go wrong before), get the appointments set up, etc. It's largely out of our hands. So it's all very amorphous still.

But it was the highlight of my week.

Anyone curious about the official process can see this page, which is mostly right. You can see how far down the page "tie the knot" is...

http://immigration.about.com/od/usvisas/a/K1Visa_Process.htm
Retro/Vintage Inspirations

imageimageimage

Re: Good news: Homeland security clears Alien.

• Options
    What are you wearing for the swimsuit competition?

Congratulations on getting another step done.  Dealing with the government is a pain in the a$$ (and I'm a government employee, but at the state level)
    C+D, Four kids, two kids-in-law, four grandkids
  • Options
    Please tell me your FI's initials are E. T.

PLEASE

because that would be EPIC!

Oh and congrats on one more hurdle cleared!
  • Options
    Congrats on the hurdle!  I work for the feds and one of my co-workers deals w/immigration issues.  Listening to her talk about the stories people have.... Well it's a BIG congrats for getting past this step!
  • Options
    Yay!!!  One step closer to being done!!!  Congrats!!

Shytown - you crack me up...I think we have the same sense of humor!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    He's not ET, I'm afraid. But that was fiction anyway--this is a real alien....

I am not sure how thorough the medical exam is. I'll have to check on the glowing green. I don't remember it, but now that I think about it....hmmm

Some of this process really does seem archaic. But a lot of law seems that way to me.
    Retro/Vintage Inspirations

imageimageimage

• Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    Tell me about it!  Because the feds won't recognize our (same-sex) marriage, we had to go through the whole process to get a green card via employment.  That took 9 years (!), and NotFroofy got the green card only a couple of weeks before our wedding.

The medical exam is pretty superficial.  The only problem NotFroofy had was that the TB vaccine is standard in the UK, where she comes from.  And anyone who has had the TB vaccine is likely to fail the TB tine test.  However, that just meant that she had to have a chest X-ray, which she passed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards