40-Plus Brides

Makeup. Including: to air brush or not?

I've done a few makeup trials. This is not something I know much about. And noticing the lines on my face (yup I got some) look worse/deeper, especially around the eyes.   Is this an airbrush issue? Or just a makeup issue? 
Thoughts?  What can I, if anything, ask the makeup artist do? Primer? Don't airbrush? Do airbrush, but use less concealer? I keep getting different answers from them. "Airbrush fills lines." "Use traditional." "Less concealer" etc..  But the results are, frankly, the same. 

Re: Makeup. Including: to air brush or not?

• I am glad you asked this. Until my daughters wedding last Jan. I was a foundation virgin and I mean it was really the first time. Boy did I notice the wrinkles more with the foundation on. I think it would be the same if it was airbushed. I am asking for a light powder to just cut any shine in photos for our wedding, but curious to hear other thoughts on your thread. 
  • I'm  52; I would suggest a primer (I use the MAC one), then just a light foundation; you may have to hunt around for one that you like.  I have the added complication that my skin, even at 52, is extremely oily.  As a result, I used to use a loose powder all over my face.  I now ONLY put powder on the "t-zone" so that the area around my eyes doesn't take the powder and accentuate the fine lines there.

My first husband was a  screen actor; a lot of actors getting ready for close-ups  occasionally  use Preparation H as an off-label use around their eyes, because it makes the tissues swell and looks less wrinkley.  I can't recommend this, but there it is.   
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Thanks!!  Any other suggestions???

• Oh my, there are several Mac primers. Which one do you suggest?

• Dang.  I just looked at their website.  There are a few now, you're right!  I got the prep + prime with spf50.  It comes in sort of a fat tube, it does not have a tint, that wasn't available when I bought mine, but you might ask them if you can try it. 

The MAC folks actually did my trial run with make-up before my wedding.  It was $30, but if you buy that much in cosmetics, you don't get charged for the application.  I actually ended up buying eye shadow, the primer, eyeliner, lipstick and pencil, and, best of all, due to tha oily skin thing of mine, I also bought  FIX+.   You spray it on your face AFTER you put on everything except mascara; the MAC person actually sprayed my face with it after primer, after foundation, and then after everything except mascara, to help "set" the makeup. 

I had a destination wedding, so i did my own make-up, and the MAC folks gave me a diagram of how to apply the makeup trial that was very helpful the day of the wedding, although I must admit I went a little less intense than they did for the trial. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Having just been the MOG twice last summer, the MOB two years before, and looking forward to celebrating my own and two future step daughters' weddings this summer, I have and will continue to rely upon spray application from a professional.  I found the benefits to be a worry free evening in which I was picture perfect the entire time...no need to even apply extra lipstick after eating!  If the wedding or photos will be out-of-doors or if the bride perspires in angst, humidity or nerves can instantly change a previously polished look to a wet mess.  I even wore false eyelashes, a big concession over half the eye.  While I won't call it a disadvantage, just an adjustment, the addition of makeup on every visible pore of my skin made me feel a bit claustrophobic at first.  I do not typically wear much makeup.  The application process is very cooling, and under the guided hand of a pro, doesn't become thick or artificial looking. I'm a 60+ yr. old. The biggest compliment I received was being misidentified as one of the bridesmaids at my own child's wedding!  I owe it all to the miracles of the spray.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards