Florida-North Florida

Reception in Panama City Beach

My fiance and I are getting married on the beach.  My family (like 5-6 people) will be attending.  This is meant to be intimate, not in any way grand.  We told his family that they were more than welcome to come if they wanted to.  Long story short approx 15 people from his side are now coming.  We do not have it in our budget to pay for a formal reception.  We have however found a place on the beach which is a nice restaurant who will allow us private space and bring a cake in.  They have a live band and it seems great.  The problem is..  it will pretty much be a buy your own dinner type reception.  1.  Is this HORRIBLE?  I think it is really tacky, however, we never told anyone that we were having a real "wedding".  2.  If we go with this, how in the world would I address the invitations (I feel like I now have to send them out)  3.  What alternatives, if any, can anyone suggest?  Thanks!

Re: Reception in Panama City Beach

• edited December 2011
    My fiance and I are getting married on the beach.  My family (like 5-6 people) will be attending.  This is meant to be intimate, not in any way grand.  We told his family that they were more than welcome to come if they wanted to.  Long story short approx 15 people from his side are now coming.  We do not have it in our budget to pay for a formal reception.  We have however found a place on the beach which is a nice restaurant who will allow us private space and bring a cake in.  They have a live band and it seems great.  The problem is..  it will pretty much be a buy your own dinner type reception.  1.  Is this HORRIBLE?  I think it is really tacky, however, we never told anyone that we were having a real "wedding".  2.  If we go with this, how in the world would I address the invitations (I feel like I now have to send them out)  3.  What alternatives, if any, can anyone suggest?  Thanks!
  • twilight.rosetwilight.rose member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_reception-panama-city-beach?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:6f29f51c-acb4-4318-9c63-e4b6dd3b6c9aPost:ac1d1e88-af22-46ae-a7ce-85de83408c08">Reception in Panama City Beach</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I are getting married on the beach.  My family (like 5-6 people) will be attending.  This is meant to be intimate, not in any way grand.  We told his family that they were more than welcome to come if they wanted to.  Long story short approx 15 people from his side are now coming.  We do not have it in our budget to pay for a formal reception.  We have however found a place on the beach which is a nice restaurant who will allow us private space and bring a cake in.  They have a live band and it seems great.  The problem is..  it will pretty much be a buy your own dinner type reception.  1.  Is this HORRIBLE?  I think it is really tacky, however, we never told anyone that we were having a real "wedding".  2.  If we go with this, how in the world would I address the invitations (I feel like I now have to send them out)  3.  What alternatives, if any, can anyone suggest?  Thanks!
    Posted by gagirlinpc[/QUOTE]

Oh my...where to start. If you told these people they were more than welcome to attend, you did invite them to your wedding, even if it was not done with a formal paper invitation.

That said, due to the fact that you invited them, you are now responsible to provide their meals at your reception. If you are getting married, you are indeed having a "real" wedding, and thus, a real reception.

The appropriate thing to do is to pay for the meals of your guests when you dine at the restaurant. It's fine to have a restaurant reception, but you and your FI need to pick up the tab to thank them for attending your wedding, as is the purpose of a reception.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I was trying to keep my post as short as possible.  We told his parents ONLY that we were getting married in a simple beach ceremony and that THEY were more than welcome to come, and no reception would be held (no need).  THEY invited 15 people and said "Oh, we will just ALL go to dinner, and we will all buy our own dinner".  Thus, sounds like a reception.  Because they have never been to area, I called around to see who coulld accomodate us.  So, no, we didn't invite anyone to a "real wedding".  They took it upon themselves!  Does your opinion still stand? 
  • edited December 2011
    I would pose your problem to the parents who invited them & ask for help in paying for  dinner for these guests. 
  • cbabercbaber member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    agree with PP. since you didnt send formal invitations to the wedding crashers, they should assume that any cost associated with their trip to watch you get married is their own. However, since his parents were kind enough to invite them, they shouldnt have an issue picking up their tab.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards