Florida-North Florida

NWR: Save the Tatas

Hi ladies!  Just got some great news and felt the need to share. My mother is officially in remission for her breast cancer. There are never any guarantees but this is a huge step!As a reminder, my mom caught her cancer super early because of getting regular mammograms so for those of you who are the right age (and for the rest of us when the time comes) make sure to do the same! It saved my mom's life so let's make sure nobody else has to lose a loved one because we're not proactive!! I'll have to start earlier than most due to my mom's history but it will be worth it!
imageDaisypath Graduation tickers Anniversary

Re: NWR: Save the Tatas

• janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's great for your mom!Thanks for the reminder.  I should definitely do self-checks more often.
  • clseale13clseale13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is amazing news! I'm so happy for your mom and your family. I will send positive thoughts that the cancer stays that way. Good for her for being proactive. That's the most important step in any cancer. FI and I lost a friend to Melanoma last January. He was only 27. We're in FL ladies...in addition to lucky's important reminder to get those mammograms I must also remind you to go annually to the dermatologist.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • brittjoy84brittjoy84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wonderful news for your mom and your family! I am going to my gyno today so I am getting checked :)
  • toblave13toblave13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Clseale- I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Great point about going to the dermatologist. My 21 year old sister has already had spots removed from spending too much time in the sun. Skin cancer is something that people don't seem to fear as much as they should.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good point CL! I have been vigilant about my sunscreen lately, mostly for vanity reasons but I also know the health importance.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you lucky. People really take it entirely too lightly. Many skin cancers are slow moving and can be caught and treated just fine...except melanoma. My mom has worked in Oncology for many years and was a great source of knowledge and support to my friend Ryan. She said that w/the exception of pancreatic cancer, melanoma is one of the nastiest most aggressive cancers you can have. People just don't have enough knowledge on the subject. I admit I sepnd a lot of time in the sun and I'm usually pretty tan. I do self checks on my spots...and I go the the dermatologist b/c I have a TON of freackles from the sun and it's nice to have a professional keep an eye on them...just in case.
  • katiek200katiek200 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Brittjoy I'm making a trip there too today lol!!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Katie, that's too funny! I go to the Women's Center at NFRMC, what about you?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Clseale, you are so right. I'm glad to hear your mom was able to give that support. I get a good bit of color myself but I'm always checking things out.Katie & Britt, I'm glad to hear about your visits. I can't tell you how many people I've spoken to in our age range who say they don't make annual gyno visits...seriously?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes...I'm happy and sorry :) to hear about your appts girls! :) Lots of knotties getting violated today. I sucked it up and did mine in May. It's definitely at the top of my least favorite things to do...but it beats the alternative and gives you great peace of mind.
  • katiek200katiek200 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Britt I go to the SHCC at UF, although this was my last visit here!! She said everything looked good and was excited to hear about the wedding :)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Katie- Yay for a successful appointment!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My tatas are good too, hehe! Lucky - We're being silly, but I am really am happy for your mom :)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Britt- Thanks! It's a serious subject but there's no reason we can't be lighthearted about it. It's too depressing otherwise. Glad to hear you're tatas are good, haha.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm really happy for your mom!  And thanks for the reminder.  My aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer when she was only 28 and my grandmother passed away from it (at age 39) so it's one of my biggest fears... not only for me, but for my mom and sister. 
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kappa- Has anyone in your family been tested for the gene?
  • jodipplsjodippls member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's great news about your mom! I go to the derm at least once a year. I am very fair complected and have lots of freckles and moles so I like to have them checked. My mom has had spots removed b/c she spends sooo much time in the sun. It's scary.
  • edited December 2011
    Lucky- None of us have been tested, mostly because we could never afford to do that.  My mother and sister don't even have health insurance! ugh (and even if they did, most policies don't seem to cover stuff like that because it's considered unnecessary).  I've thought about doing it but then I ask myself, "If I do have the gene, what's the next step?"  I'm not sure if having that information would do me any good lol.   
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Lucky, glad to hear about your mom! My old roomate has breast cancer rampant in her family. One of her aunts just passed away from it and they just found a cancerous lump in her other aunt. My old roomate and her sister have both been tested for the gene. The roomate does not have it, but her sister did, so her sister went ahead and had them removed. On the other note, I need to start seeing a derm.
    Honeymooning image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kappa- I definitely understand. These things are so expensive, and it's so sad to me that even if you don't have insurance it's not covered...that's how it is with my insurance and the Gardasil vaccine. My grandfather just offered to pay for it because he thinks it's important.Sikes- That must have been a hard decision for her to make, but it was definitely a brave one. And yes, go to your derm!It's really nice to see how aware all of you ladies are! Hopefully one day things will be even better!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards