Florida-North Florida
Options

DJ won't accept payment until day of (???!!!)

any idea why he Refuses to take my payment prior to the wedding???  I've asked him twice and he won't take it.  I don't know if he thinks he's helping me but he's actually Not.  It's causing me more stress.  I'm trying to get ALL of my payments out of the way prior to the wedding day.  I don't want to have to worry about money the day of.  All I want to have to take care of is the bar tab and tipping. 

Ugh.

~Alissa & Frank 10.9.10~

Re: DJ won't accept payment until day of (???!!!)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Did you ever think that you are not helping him out when you ask him to do that ?  Some people don't have the "restraint' to "not spend the money" before he does the work.

In my business I don't like to take payments early either, I'd rather be paid when I do the work. 

A suggestion....  Put the funds into an account that earns interest and don't touch it til the week of the wedding.  Then pay all of your vendors. 

JMHO  YMMV

K
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That would make me nervous. Who professional doesn't want to get paid? If this guy doesn't have the restraint to not spend his earnings before the event, how professional will he be the day of? Maybe he has a gambling or drug problem or something?  I would REALLY be wary!!!
  • Options
    doc1026doc1026 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I do think thats a little odd. All the vendors that I seem to be using want all or most of the payment prior to the wedding. In fact all of my music/video/photography vendors will be paid one week prior. Just keep it somewhere safe and not in your checking account :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    this is my wedding.. I'm not concerened about Helping him.  the DJ is one of Many things I'm working on for this day... my wedding is the only thing he's doing that day.  I hired him... he didn't hire me.
    ~Alissa & Frank 10.9.10~
  • Options
    christinalauchristinalau member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That would make me nervous too... Have you tried explaining the situation to him (that you dont want to worry about payments day-of)? More importantly, do you have a contract in place (just in case he is a no-show)? I am not trying to freak you out but it is just weird that he won't accept payments before day-of.
  • Options
    janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a few vendors that wouldn't take payment before the wedding day.  They wanted to make sure we were happy before they took money from us. 

Just have the check already written out and have someone hand it to him on the day of the wedding.  I think you're making this a bigger deal than it actually is.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-north-florida_those-of-whove-used-tony-mann-dj-got-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:70Discussion:8f2f7d6c-e043-43d1-afea-874ec2101b05Post:4af60140-ac48-4f55-bcad-ff12fd65bb2b">Re: DJ won't accept payment until day of (???!!!)</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had a few vendors that wouldn't take payment before the wedding day.  They wanted to make sure we were happy before they took money from us.  Just have the check already written out and have someone hand it to him on the day of the wedding.  I think you're making this a bigger deal than it actually is.
    Posted by navybaby1113[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    pag41989pag41989 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-north-florida_those-of-whove-used-tony-mann-dj-got-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:70Discussion:8f2f7d6c-e043-43d1-afea-874ec2101b05Post:4af60140-ac48-4f55-bcad-ff12fd65bb2b">Re: DJ won't accept payment until day of (???!!!)</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had a few vendors that wouldn't take payment before the wedding day.  They wanted to make sure we were happy before they took money from us.  Just have the check already written out and have someone hand it to him on the day of the wedding.  I think you're making this a bigger deal than it actually is.
    Posted by navybaby1113[/QUOTE]

agreed! We didn't pay our DJ until the day of the wedding, the photographer as well. I made sure I had the money in envelopes and handed them to them as they arrived.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes we do have a signed contract.  guess there's nothing else I can do about it. 
    ~Alissa & Frank 10.9.10~
  • Options
    CherylK00CherylK00 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, my dj won't take all the money either. I think navybaby is right. They just wanna make sure you're happy before u pay all upfront
  • Options
    bblove10bblove10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Does he want payment prior to the recpetion the day of or following the reception?  Is there a clause in the contract that states you can request the DJ continue playing an additional hour or two at your recpetion?  If so, maybe he doesn't want payment in case he plays longer than contracted.  If the DJ's contract says that payment is due the day of the wedding, and you agreed by signing the contract, then I'm not sure why you are so upset.  All my vendors have different payment deadlines and for different reasons. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards