Ohio-Northeast
Options

inviting co-workers

so FI and I are planning on inviting only the co-workers that we spend time with outside of work. Does that seem fair? We work in an office with about over 100 people. Even If we invite the people we work with on a daily basis, that would add at least 30 people plus their significant others to the guest list. I have not been initiating conversation about my wedding or plans, but some of the women ask me about it (what's my dress look like, where it is, etc), but that's the only time I tlk about my wedding at work. Thoughts?

Re: inviting co-workers

• Options
    starshine985starshine985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it makes sense to invite those whom you spend time with outside of work.  I think it's completely fair to do it that way. 

I think anytime people know that a person is engaged, they will bring it up to you for a couple of reasons: (1) they want to be nice, (2) it's an easy way to initiate conversation and (3) they're truly interested.  However, just because someone is interested in your plans doesn't mean they necessarily expect to be invited.  Some people just like hearing about wedding plans (I know I do!).  To invite everyone you work with on a daily basis could be very costly and, in many cases, unnecessary.

IMHO, just go with those that you see outside of work and would consider a friend whether or not you worked with them and/or would continue a friendship with if one of you left the place of business.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    TIFFIET82TIFFIET82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I agree. Invite the ppl that you are close to. The more ppl you invite, the more expensive. The wedding should be about having the friends and family that you are close to share in your special day.

Birthday
  • Options
    missmis99missmis99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am not inviting any of my co-workers.  My FI is inviting some of his.  I work in a small office of about 10 people, but I am the youngest by about 14 years.  I don't associate with any of them outside of work (however I work almost 2 hours away from where I live). I have been invited to several of their children's weddings, but I just can't seem to justify inviting them to mine.  I don't blame you one bit. 
    my read shelf:
    Robin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    kaehaszkaehasz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am going through the same thing right now - I worked at a job in a small company for abour 2 years and then my FI took my job and has been working there for about a year.  Everyone knows us and has know us both since we first met, etc.. We only get together with 3-4 co-workers outside of the office.  But still feel guilty about not inviting everyone.  I had a long conversation with my FI's boss about the situation.  She helped calm me down.  You guys don't need to feel bad about not inviting everyone.  And make sure to tell those that you do invite that they are in the select few and not to go around talking about it.  But I'm sure that a lot of people will be happy not to be invitied... not only is it expensive for you to invite them, but then they have to get an outfit and you and your FI a gift So don't feel guilty.... your wedding day is about YOU and not trying to please everyone :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I work at a military installation so I work with a lot of people too. I am inviting only 3 coworkers (the ones I am closest with). There is just not enough room. I think most people understand. So keep it to a minimum and invite those that you are close to.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards