Florida-North Florida

Publix wedding cake

We've decided to order our cake from Publix in Gainesville.  Does anyone know if the quality varies by the store?  Is there a particular Publix that is better than the others?
There are a few within 10 miles which would have the same delivery fee.
TIA!

Re: Publix wedding cake

• millkn2millkn2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just to warn you, I have heard horror stories about Publix wedding cakes. Most of the brides end up crying over it because it was made wrong.
  • kris2131kris2131 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I've also heard that Publix cakes tend to...lean...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jamiemarie33jamiemarie33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the warnings.  Though, I'll take my chances since cake is pretty low on my priority list, and I'd rather not pay $5/slice.  I'm getting a three tiered cake, with one of their designs.  Not sure what they could really mess up.  If the fillings aren't what I ordered- I'd probably not even care, let alone cry :)

If someone has a bakery in Gainesville with similar prices to Publix, I'd be open to those as well.
  • ekutlusekutlus member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I ordered from Publix too, even though my mom had a not so great experience with them (the color of the fondant was not right). I went with a basic white one so I'm not extremely worried about it either as long as it a) shows up and b) doesn't fall down.
    Created by Wedding Favors
  • edited December 2011
    OH god, beware! 

I changed mine just this week and am SO glad I did. They toted they are super cheap and have raised their prices. I got a fantastic local bakery to match their price AND the cake tastes SO much better. I'm a bit of a culinary snob and was settling for this publix cake because it was "cheap" but you can find MUCH better for the same price. 

They lost my contact info 3x and thank goodness I didn't put a down payment or I would have been stuck with them. They couldn't even find the price sheet for their new prices when I went in and that sealed the deal. I walked and started looking for a bakery to save the day. When I saw how they were keeping the "other brides" cake orders haphazardly folded up in a disorganized binder, I decided then and there that there was no way I was going to have them do my cake anymore.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh boy, now I feel a little stuck.  I'm getting married May 29th- most bakeries are probably booked already...
  • edited December 2011
    Oh boy. We were thinking of going to Publix. Now not so sure
  • edited December 2011

Check out Sparkman's Bridal for cakes.  They are even less expensive than Publix ($1/slice!).  We used them for our February wedding and were very, very happy with both the look and the taste.  The woman who makes them, Vivian, is wonderful and it is a fairly small business she runs from her home so she may not be booked.  Give her a call!  352-481-2867

Married February 26th, 2011 TTC #1 since May 2011
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestion, Elise.  We ended up booking a bakery last night.  More expensive than Publix, but beautiful and yummy cakes.
  • edited December 2011
    I can't speak for the quality of that particular Publix, but obviously the quality of work varies because my cake ( a Publix in Green Cove Springs) was beautiful. It tasted great, was designed just the way I wanted, and didn't lean at all. I put a picture of it below. Maybe you can ask if they have a portfolio? The guy who delivered my cake photographed it after he put the topper on it for their portfolio.

• kris2131kris2131 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-north-florida_publix-wedding-cake-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:70Discussion:bcb318eb-0466-4f38-81c8-61b2c9c1a2b2Post:3bd2ed2d-f451-4002-84cc-78520c573333">Re: Publix wedding cake</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the suggestion, Elise.  We ended up booking a bakery last night.  More expensive than Publix, but beautiful and yummy cakes.
    Posted by jamiemarie33[/QUOTE]

Who did you end up booking with?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We ended up booking Dream Day Cakes.  Definitely more $ than Publix, but the quality and cake flavors were beyond worth it!
  • edited December 2011
    I just got my daughters grooms cake from the publixs in Millhopper and it was awsome the artist that did the cake Sonja was excelent the cake was perfect.  there was nothing left of it at the wedding.  I would us her and publix every time.

Just a word of advice to anyone that is thinking of using Dream day cakes ""DONT"
    they are rude they tried to blame there incompetence on us they mixed up our delivery time with some one elses and yelled and was very rude to use on the phone. once they deliverd the cake to use 2 and a half hours late they did not complete the cake and just left it the topper was not arranged on the cake as requested and the staff form the Venue "Gainesville Golf and Country Club" Chef came to the rescue and were able to complete.  as for the cake it was horrible.  it tasted as though it had been frozen for a month it was dry tasteless and the filling tasted like it was a stick of butter just spread in between the layers.  It was like having a mouth full of sawdust.  I would never recomend them anyone I would encourage them to stear clear.  At the tasting the samples of cake are not what you get in the cake.  Had it not been for the Publix Grooms cake we would not of had any cake that tasted good.

Mother of the Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards