Florida-North Florida

Am I being too frugal??

Really could use an outside bride's opinion on this one.
I've been researching photographers since we got engaged, this is the one area where I am terrified to book the wrong person. I've gotten burned by another photographer in the past and it's just left me uneasy. But it seems as if all the photographers I have found to take pictures of our wedding and do an engagement shoot in our area (Jacksonville) - it seems as if they are all charging at least $2,000. I really, really wasn't expecting to spend that much! I already have a tigher budget and am freaking out about not finding a reception venue but that's another issue. Am I being unreasonable not wanting to spend that much money on a good photographer? Have any of you ladies found a great photographer (and love(d) them)for under $2,000??

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Am I being too frugal??

• chickenbut143chickenbut143 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    amh - it's really your decision.  When my FI and i started planning, there were just a couple of things that we weren't willing to forgo, one of them being a GREAT photographer. With that said, i've aloted a large chunk of my budget to photos.  If photos are something you don't really care too much about, then go cheeper.  If you treasure them (like we do), id pay the 2k.  I personally think that no matter what - if you find a fantastic photographer, it's worth the money.
    Good luck!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011

I don't mind paying the money for a great photographer. What it really boils down to, is 1. I wasnt' expecting it to be that much and 2. My budget isn't really all that much. We are already paying for a deal of things ourselves, and my parents can't afford a whole lot. I wasn't expecting nearly anything to be the price of what it is actually turning out to be. It's starting to look like our reception is going to take up at least half the budget. I just feel I guess dumbfounded. I want an amazing photographer, but I just really can't afford it pay that much. Between the reception and photographer - my budget is gone.

• holthcmholthcm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't totally freak out. I did a ton of research on photographers in the North Florida area and I finally found some that are under $2000, will edit all your photos, give you rights to all the pictures, and will photograph you all day. You have to really search them out, but I would be happy to share this information with you. You can PM me. I know it is really frustrating trying to stay in your budget!!
  • edited December 2011
    Holthcm - I sent you a PM!
  • holthcmholthcm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I sent you one back too!!! Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I have found photography to be quite expensive, but this is an area I didn't want to skip on.  We interviewed photographers upwards of $5k and went with one for $4k.  Not cheap, but I trust her implicity!  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    My photographer is under a thousand. She did my engagement pictures and they're beautiful. Her work is amazing.
  • beccas90beccas90 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-north-florida_am-being-frugal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:70Discussion:e64d5572-afc9-45e8-be1f-e96f8207c5ebPost:5da8e4e3-94a5-4b1f-8a3d-0f638997b721">Re: Am I being too frugal??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Don't totally freak out. I did a ton of research on photographers in the North Florida area and I finally found some that are under $2000, will edit all your photos, give you rights to all the pictures, and will photograph you all day. You have to really search them out, but I would be happy to share this information with you. You can PM me. I know it is really frustrating trying to stay in your budget!!
    Posted by holthcm[/QUOTE]

We're still researching photographers too and we're having the same problem. Do you know if any of the photographers you researched travel? Despite the fact that I'm from Jacksonville and spend a lot of time here, it looks like we're actually going to have everything in Gainesville. We haven't had too much luck with photographers there either, so someone who can travel is super important!

OP: I haven't actually had experience with her, but I went to the wedding exhibition show in Jacksonville and saw her portfolio and it looked really nice. She's Leslie from Leslie's Memories and her wedding package seems super reasonable and, while she's not based in Pensacola, she is willing to travel.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    beccas90- I had my wedding in Gainesville (I don't know if I already talked to you about this) and I have all of my vendor reviews in my married bio.  HTH.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions ladies. I ended up going with Ivey Pictures - a couple who do wedding photography in the Jax area :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards