Arizona-Phoenix

Tipping

I know it's been asked before, but I can't find anything on it.  Who did you tip and how much did you tip?

Re: Tipping

• timark99timark99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh and I have a question to add to the tipping, we are getting married where they have one of the inclusive packages that includes bar/cake/dj services and food along with the venue rental, so how does tipping work out for that?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I have always heard that you tip workers, but not owners.  So if your DJ, Florist, Photog own the company (as many of them do) there is no need to tip them.  If the person setting up the flowers is some minimum wage worker you tip them.  As for the ammounts, I am not sure, but I know I have seen a break down on how much to tip on the internet somewhere.
  • edited December 2011
    I had a pakage where tips were included to all the waitstaff and bartender... the only thing I thought was kind of tacky was that the bartender still had a tip jar set on his bar.  I don't think my guests should have felt obligated to tip, but they all did, so I know he made out very well. I tipped the event coordinater 150.00 she was awesome!  I did not tip the flower lady, my flowers were not the color  I asked for... I did not make a sceen about them, I actually fixed them myself, but she just did not get a tip.  DJ 100.00 he did a wonderful job. 
  • jaye321jaye321 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We tipped DJ mmm it was either $100 or $150, can't rememberPhotog same as above Bartenders $50/personWaitstaff (above the contract gratuity) $50/personHair/Makeup 20% per stylistI did not tip based on owner or worker rules.  You don't HAVE to tip an owner of the company if they are the one performing the duty.  But I loved my vendors and just tipped based on service.  I highly recommend having your tips separated into envelopes going into the night.  Label the envelopes with who they go to and give them to someone you trust to deliver them at the end of the night.  We had an extra envelope that was for the waitstaff if they went above and beyond what we felt was expected.  Since we technically already paid gratuity, I didn't want to tip just because.  They were great so the envelope ended up being used.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree that the owner rule does not always apply.  I have not had my wedding yet, but I know that if a vendor did a great job, even if they were the owner, I would still tip them, but I would not feel obligated to if they did a so-so job.
  • edited December 2011
    We got our information from www.frugalbride.com   If there is a coordinator for the venue, you could either tip, or get them a little gift.    The PP stated if the person owns their own company, there is no need to tip, which is "correct" but my FI owns his own photography company and while he hasn't gotten many tips, I can tell you when he gets the little gifts or tips afterwards, he loves it.   HTH
  • kellytupkellytup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about tipping the musician and officiant?  The officiant is not from church, so she is already getting a fee.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jaye - did you tip your photog the night of or when you get your photos?
  • edited December 2011
    This is really helpful information. Thanks for asking.
  • jaye321jaye321 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can definitely tip your officiant if you want to.  Again it depends on the service you got :)  Our officiant was a family member so we gave a personal gift instead of tipping.  We spent $50 on it I believe.  We did tip our photog the night of the wedding.  I was hung up on this as well because of not having my pictures back yet.  But honestly just from what I saw at the wedding he had done a fabulous job, so I thought it was appropriate. 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the information.  I keep on going back and forth on the photographer because I feel like I should wait to see how my photos turn out, but I don't know. 
  • jaye321jaye321 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What I would suggest then is to give half of what you would give to the photog the night of the wedding.  Then when you get your photos send the other half with a Thank You note. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards