Arizona-Phoenix
Options

the knot budgeter?

Hi everyone - new here and just recently engaged.  We are starting to look into venues and etc etc and thinking of getting married next spring or fall probably around the East Valley area.Has anyone used the budget tool and found it useful?  I am having the usual budget craziness where it seems that all the information I've been looking into seems like its priced over the budget the knot gave me.We are expecting to have between 100 and 150 guests, and would like to keep cost below 20K...what do you girls think?~Amy
BIO: Updated 7/28 with bridesmaid dresses

Amy & Ian

image 133 Invited so far!
image 48 Are ready to party!
image 27 Will be missing out! (12 kids)
image 59 Are MIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: the knot budgeter?

• Options
    mresendezmresendez member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board and congrats! The Knot budgeter is a good place to start. But it's not comprehensive. Look around at other wedding budgets. For me, the most helpful thing was to ask people I knew what cost what (tactfully, of course, as this can get sticky). I would also look at local vendors and price compare. Then put together a budget. Budget can vary a lot depending on the details and style. Do you want a formal sit-down or a backyard bbq? Do you want elaborate favors? Things like this can quickly change your budget. To answer your question, 20K is VERY doable for the valley. I am having about 450 guests on a 10K budget (I am actually hoping for 8K, and that looks like it's working out). I had to cut some things. We are not eating on china, I am doing my own makeup, and the ballroom is not the one of my dreams, but I am still quite excited with how things are turning out. The girls on here have great ideas for how to keep costs low, and if you have enough time before the wedding you can find sales and deals. So, relax first, you can do it, then start researching! We are here to help, too.
  • Options
    NillaWafer10NillaWafer10 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I completely agree with the previous post.  I used the budget tool to get estimates, and then I configured my budget specifically for me needs.  There are details that aren't included (i.e. marriage license), and I wanted my budget to be comprehensive.  I didn't want any surprises.  Too write up my budget, I considered a few main details.  First, the size of my wedding.  The size of your guest list greatly affects your budget.  Second, where I wanted to have the ceremony/reception.  This really shaped my budget, because the cost of my venue was actually way over what the knot allotted me.  However, I saved money on the catering bill, because my family is providing all of the food.  And lastly, what three details were most important to me.  I splurged on those three items, and I cut back on others.My budget is $8,000 for 160-180 guests, but we are doing a lot of the leg work ourselves.  We have really saved by doing research. I am very thankful for all of the time I have had to plan.  You can have a really extravagant wedding with $20,000 without research, but you could probably make your money stretch really far by shopping around.  One of the best tips I have heard: getting a package estimate from the Camelback Resort, and then calling around to other resorts to compare prices.  It never hurts to negotiate if you are professional, and it may save you quite a lot.P.S.  I used an excel document to keep track of my budget.  It was easy to make changes, and I could make additions or subtractions.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    alschmidalschmid member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for the feedback and encouragement.  I was comparing all the sites I was looking at, which prices were over double what the knot gave us, which had me a little concerned.  I'd really like to get the budget down to 15K, so I will see what we can do.  I don't mind doing the research and legwork at all.I'm thinking more of a casual feel for the wedding, but probably a sit down dinner if we can do that.  So far, on my list of places to look at areVal Vista Lakesthe Waterfront Any thoughts on those two, or other places I should check out?  My email is getting deluged with places, so its hard to narrow them down.Also - thoughts on the prices for the packages vs doing things separately via Val Vista?  Seems to me that doing the work yourself would save some money, plus giving you more flexibility.Anyone recommed going to the bridal shows coming up?Wow - I must have lots of questions :).  I realize while I've had lots of friends get married in the Phoenix area, I never really helped or realized all the details needed.Thanks again!    
    BIO: Updated 7/28 with bridesmaid dresses

Amy & Ian

image 133 Invited so far!
    image 48 Are ready to party!
    image 27 Will be missing out! (12 kids)
    image 59 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at Val Vista Lakes, and I am absolutely in love.  It is the venue of my dreams, and they are so accommodating!  Janet, the banquet manager is a joy to work with.  I chose to rent things separately there, because I am having less than two hundred people, and it is going to be too hot for guests to use the patio.  We placed the chairs around the table, and eight is much more comfortable than ten.  That helped us decide on the guest list size.  You save 5% with the package, but I managed to save more by eliminating the patio and 40 of the chairs. One way that you can definitely save with VVL is by reserving a Sunday.  It is less than half the price of a Friday or Saturday.  You may have your heart set on a Saturday, but you could do a lot with that extra $2500.Just some food for thought.  Let me know if you have any more questions about Val Vista Lakes.Oh and the owners of the Bridal Fashion Debut had their daughter's wedding at VVL :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    vmilesicvmilesic member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and Congrats! I used wedding wire dot com for the budget tool, but I also have my excel spreadsheet that I update almost daily. My guest list is 350 to 400 ppl, family style dinner, splurging on alcohol. It really depends on what is important to you. Some brides want to have a great photographer while others don't care much.. and have a family/friend do it for them.If you have any questions, ask... everyone on this board is super friendly and helpful!
  • Options
    smoore79smoore79 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I attended a wedding at Val Vista Lakes and it was great!  I also love the DIY factor because it makes the wedding more unique and personal.  They did their flowers themselves, and used Ali Girl Photography for their pictures (they are listed under the local vendors) and the pictures were great.  My sister just booked the same photographer for her wedding.Good luck!
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I definitely agree!  I have seen photos from lots of weddings there, and they all feel unique.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Marissa0717Marissa0717 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ***mresendez and Nillawafer10***where are you both having your wedding?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I haven't used the budget tool, none of those things ever seem to work with my budget - but I give everyone the same advice...try to find vendors who offer more than one service - just keep it as simple as possible!  Lots of venues now offer all-inclusive packages that can help take a lot of stress out of the whole planning monster.  Here's what I have so far: Venue - looking at The Castle and Rustler's RoostCake - The Bamboo CompanyDress - David's BridalPhotography & Videography - Tiramisu StudiosGOOD LUCK!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards