Arizona-Phoenix
Options

GARTER AUCTION?

OK, I have heard of a money dance, and we are doing one at our wedding in April.  But has anyone heard of a garter auction???  My brother's GF suggested it and shared that after the garter is removed all the single guys bid on it, highest bidder wins????  Thought it was a good/fun idea...thoughts??

Re: GARTER AUCTION?

• Options
    LedZeppelinLedZeppelin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, I don't like the idea. It seems weird. I don't understand why guys would want to bid on the garter.

I, also, dislike money dances.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    CellesCelles member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bad idea, just like the money dance.  Sorry, but I'm with LedZ on this one.  It's really lame to turn your reception into some kind of fund-raising event. 
  • Options
    jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Why would anyone want to buy a garter?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    LedZeppelinLedZeppelin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's what I want to know!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    guamibearguamibear member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never heard of it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No to both the garter auction and money dance.
    Blog Planning Site Anniversary 2007- Fell down stairs, herniated 4 disks, Degenerative Disk Disease, Facet Arthritis Perfectly healthy previous to this fall. 2008- Diagnosed Hypothyroid 2010- Diagnosed severe Vitamin D deficiency and Chronic Mono 2011- Diagnosed Rheumatoid Arthritis, Carpal Tunnel, and Calcified Tendinitis in right shoulder
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the above comments - money dances and garter auctions are offensive, rude, and cheap. Imagine the people at your wedding (friends, family, acquaintances) - how would they react to purchasing a piece of, basically, underwear?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    how about instead of trying to make money, make a game out of it??

I have heard of couples having the eligible men play "trivia" about the couple or even just random facts and who ever gets the most points gets the garter. I feel as though that would be a lot more fun that trying to create an auction. Who's going to bid on a garter, and how awkward would it be in no one bid on it?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I don't like either.  Icky.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Its very popular where I live! My step sister got married last weekend, and raised almost $1000 by doing a garter auction. We took 4-5 decks of cards and tore each card in half. The groomsmen walked around and tried to sell each half card for a minimum of $1 to members of the crowd. Some people gave $10, some gave $20, a few even gave $100. Each groomsman has to sell all of their cards. At the end, the DJ picks one card- and everyone that has a half to that exact card gets together and chooses how the garter will be taken off. Of course, The groom will always be the one in the end to take it off. The take-off that was chosen at hers was: we sat the bride down on a chair, blindfolded the groom, then replaced the bride with a very large friend of ours that was wearing shorts...and the groom crawled on his knees to his brides leg. Once he realized it was a male with hairy legs- and the crowd was in tears laughing...The groom stood up and shook the mans hand, sat his actual bride down and took the garter off. It was very entertaining, and a great way to make alot of extra money for the couple!
  • Options
    jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_arizona-phoenix_garter-auction?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:71Discussion:1223ebc1-df23-48c4-8620-219bc6f7c159Post:2d1e6d03-4fe2-4518-8900-abaca249a69d">Re: GARTER AUCTION?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Its very popular where I live! My step sister got married last weekend, and raised almost $1000 by doing a garter auction. We took 4-5 decks of cards and tore each card in half. The groomsmen walked around and tried to sell each half card for a minimum of $1 to members of the crowd. Some people gave $10, some gave $20, a few even gave $100. Each groomsman has to sell all of their cards. At the end, the DJ picks one card- and everyone that has a half to that exact card gets together and chooses how the garter will be taken off. Of course, The groom will always be the one in the end to take it off. The take-off that was chosen at hers was: we sat the bride down on a chair, blindfolded the groom, then replaced the bride with a very large friend of ours that was wearing shorts...and the groom crawled on his knees to his brides leg. Once he realized it was a male with hairy legs- and the crowd was in tears laughing...The groom stood up and shook the mans hand, sat his actual bride down and took the garter off. It was very entertaining, and a great way to make alot of extra money for the couple!
    Posted by hbpetersen[/QUOTE]

Why on earth did you dig up a 3 month old post (for your first post no less) in the PHOENIX forum to tell us about a garter auction in your area...in Minneapolis?  Also...weddings are not fundraisers, it may have been okay for your family, but generally, it's extremely rude and tacky to try and raise money for the couple at a wedding.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards