Arizona-Phoenix
Options

Starting to speak to florists

Hello!  I'm trying to get some appointments set up with florists over the next week, but I have a problem: I have no idea what a reasonable budget is.  I am looking at Butterfly Petals and Ever After based on recommendations from here, but I don't want to look completely uninformed when I speak to them.

Right now, I'm looking at 3 bouquets (I would like mine to match the BM's, does anybody know if I can avoid the "bridal" price by doing this?), 5 bouts, 2 corsages and a max of 15 centerpieces.  What should I expect to pay for that?  And what am I missing? 

Thanks!

Re: Starting to speak to florists

• Options
    NillaWafer10NillaWafer10 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The bridal price is based on the bride's bouquet being larger, requiring more flowers and time.  I would think that you would save...

Your list seems pretty comprehensive.  Some people order arrangements for the guest book table, gift table, cake table etc.  If you need rose pedals, definitely consider going the online route to get them at cost.

I think the biggest bargaining tool is the cost of the flowers you are using.  I think if you knew how much it cost in flowers and materials, you might be able to bargain a little better.  They use this technique in car sales haha!

Don't forget a toss bouquet!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for responding!

The problem is, I really only care about color, not flower type.  That should help in the long run as far as costs, but for right now, I really don't know a starting point.  Would I look completely stupid if I said that to potential florists?  When I first tried on dresses, I mentioned that the budget was undecided but that I was trying to keep everything on the lower end, and I got the feeling the consultant wanted to roll her eyes at me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I would just tell them what you told us and that you care more about the color than the flowers and they will tell you what price range you can expect.  I had specific flowers I wanted and Amanda told me what it would cost, and then she also gave me options for flowers that would give the same look but for less money.  It is ok to go in uninformed, we all are when we start and because you know that both of these florists are honest business people I would not worry about it because they will be honest with you!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the others.  You don't have to know everything going into the appointments.  I knew nothing about flowers walking into my appointment with Amanda, but had a color scheme.  I told her maybe I would like to use some roses, but didn't really know.  She put together a whole presentation showing different ideas and explained which flowers would be economical in our colors, but still look fantastic.  She had the most amazing ideas and the flowers are my favorite part of the planning so far because they're going to be SO amazing and were quite a bit under budget!

I also suggest trying to explain to the florist the feel or theme you want along with the colors.  This helped me :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sounds good.  I was more worried about not knowing a budget than not knowing flowers, but it sounds like I should be fine.  Yay!
  • Options
    NillaWafer10NillaWafer10 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds like this Amanda is a great vendor!  I don't know many florists that would do that for you haha!  I had a few consults, and they all just put me off :( I'm glad you gals have someone so great!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP, if your bouquet is truely the same size style flwers as your BM's then I don't think yours would be more.

Generally your flower budget should be 8-10% of yuor over all wedding budget.

Do you have an idea of what you want to spend? I think that would help when you go to talk to vendors.

When I worked with Amanda I gave her  $2,000 budget, Flowers were important to me and I wanted them to be over the top!!!  also I needed 39 centerpeices, 9 BM boquets, my boquet, I think 16 boutineers, a huge gazebo piece, she made my ring bearers pillow out of kermit mums! I think thats it.

I wasnt too picky about the type of flowers, as they all needed to be blue and green, I did say I wanted hydrangea and she worked that in there along with some surprises like orchids!

I think iif you arent to picky about te type you will be good, it doesnt sound like you need a whole lot...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards