Arizona-Phoenix
Options

Renting a Home for Wedding/Reception?

Has anyone looked into renting a luxury home type thing for their location?  My guest list is pretty small (Approx 50) and they are all close family and friends...the main focus for us is on the reception which we'd like to have as more of a party (still with tables and chairs etc- not just a regular old house party from back in college lol).  Any thoughts on renting a 'luxury' home to hold an event?  If you did this (or if you even looked into this kinda thing) let me know where you looked or who helped you find a nightly/weekly rental?  If you didn't do this, please still let me know what you think of this idea?

Re: Renting a Home for Wedding/Reception?

• Options
    kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It seems like an idea, I'd be concerned that since it's not your home that if there was any damage, it would come out on you and the safety issues - for instance, where would your guests park? Down the street? Would it be a hazard?  What about the noise factor - you'd be holding an event when other people in the neighborhood might want their peace and quiet, and have to get up the next morning.

Have you tried banquet halls instead?  They would supply the chairs, tables, decor etc for the most part.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I looked into it, but ultimately decided it was too much organizing for me right now with other stuff going on.  But I think it has a lot of potential for a fun memorable wedding.  I found a ton of houses on www.vrbo.com. This is the main one I pursued.  http://www.vrbo.com/285321 I had e-mailed the guy and they had just had a wedding reception there with 100 people.  He was going to try to get pics of the reception, but I never got them.  There are two reviews on this listing, and one is someone who used it as their reception.  $1,500/night I think.  I probably have more links on my other computer of others I considered, so let me know if you want me to send you those too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, PS, I thought about renting it for a few nights so the bridal party could all stay there and we could have BBQs and pool activities on the days leading up.  Seemed like it could be cool for all the out of town guests to come hang out before and after the actual wedding events.  I have heard of other people finding houses to rent for a whole week or so, so everyone could hang out and save some people on hotels possibly.  I still think about it and how fun it would have been!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Janjan- That was exactly my thought process!  I'm a total DIY gal and I thought this might be a perfect fit for me (and FI) and my guests. I thought it might cut down on the food/bar because I could do it myself/have my bridal party help out etc- no license required :)  Kinda like a buffet/potluck style reception- very laid back where guest serve themselves etc...please do send me other places you were looking at (nicleep @ yahoo dot com).  Thank you!

kpwedkk- good thoughts- I would definitely need to figure those things out (I hadn't even thought about parking!)
  • Options
    divine_chaosdivine_chaos member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We actually rented an entire B & B in sedona for the weekend of our wedding. We will have the ceremony there opted for an offsite dinner and then a return for dancing/drinks. We have arranged for shuttle transport between the B & B and the dinner site-thus providing a safe ride to allow for cocktails. We will cut the cake at the reception site. Our DJ is even miking the ceremony, going to the restaurant and doing dinner music there during cocktail hours and dinner. We have a room that closes off from the rest of the restaurant and opens to an outdoor patio.

When we return our DJ will have the music going & ready for us along with a bar set-up that is a self serve. We are also getting married in Sedona so we did let everyone know that only the bridal party is staying at the B&B but I gave a list of close hotels and encouraged them to make reservations and found discounted rates. I didnt want people flopped out everywhere in the home.

We are having about 48 people and it give the intimate feeling that could not be found elsewhere. Every aspect has been wonderful and I cant wait to actually get up there and DO this!
    engagement ring-imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That sounds AMAZING!  I actually thought about a Sedona wedding- my FI had one of the best mini vacations there ever and thought it would be amazing to host our wedding in such a beautiful relaxing place.  If you don't mind me asking what B&B did you go with?  My concern with a lot if places I was looking at (but I didn't think of the b&b route) was the issue with noise etc past 10pm (for my guests that is just way too early :)).
  • Options
    divine_chaosdivine_chaos member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am using the The Penrose (www.thepenrose.com) and you are right the 10pm noise restriction is in effect everywhere in the area. We are wrapping up at 10 pm and what we said to everyone was that we are planning on having a more family-friendly party later in the year for everyone who was unable to attend and for those who wish to enjoy a party until early morning. We plan to make the most of the time we do have for dancing and such by even requestign song requests from guests. We are creating our own play list for the DJ.

I look at it this way our wedding starts at 230 and ends at 10 pm....I want to go relax with my new hubby, that is plenty of wedding fun time! We have the day before and the day after for extra time with people staying in Sedona.
    engagement ring-imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    divine chaos - I am getting married in Sedona as well.  Where are you having the dinner?  We are looking for a rehearsal dinner spot.  So excited about Sedona too!  Can't wait, it's going to be perfect for us.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Where are you holding you dinner in Sedona?  My brother and his fiance are looking at Sedona as a weeding option and your idea of a B&B is something we never thought of.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This last weekend we just stayed at the Adobe Graham Villa Inn Bed and Breakfast - 2 bedroom with seperate adjoining bathrooms, with a full up kitchen, living room, and  for $369 per night, with breakfast in Sedona!  It might be a great place for your guests to stay at - we certainly had a blast :)

They were extremely accomodating to special dietary needs :)

http://www.adobevillagegrahaminn.com/

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards