Arizona-Phoenix

Wedding Vendors = Terrible customer service?

My FI and I set a date (next May) and visited 5 venues in person.   At one venue the catering manager didn't show for our appointment.  (We had driven 35 miles across town to get there).  Of the other 4 venues only 1 bothered to follow up with either an e-mail or a phone call.  These are all fairly high end venues.   We chose the venue that followed up with us.

Now we're looking for a photographer.  We've met with one who said he was going to follow up via e-mail on two items.  We have not heard from him.  I'm interested in 2 other photographers and I'm having a hard time even getting an appointment scheduled.

I don't get it.  We're in a down economy and I have money to spend.  

Is anyone else having this issue?  Is it better to communicate with vendors via phone?  I have mostly been using e-mail.

Re: Wedding Vendors = Terrible customer service?

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_arizona-phoenix_wedding-vendors-terrible-customer-service?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:71Discussion:4a99362f-8052-4378-acc2-b85425fc9e44Post:fd30cbaf-48bd-4453-b74f-9eac98236c1a">Wedding Vendors = Terrible customer service?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FI and I set a date (next May) and visited 5 venues in person.   At one venue the catering manager didn't show for our appointment.  (We had driven 35 miles across town to get there).  Of the other 4 venues only 1 bothered to follow up with either an e-mail or a phone call.  These are all fairly high end venues.   We chose the venue that followed up with us. Now we're looking for a photographer.  We've met with one who said he was going to follow up via e-mail on two items.  We have not heard from him.  I'm interested in 2 other photographers and I'm having a hard time even getting an appointment scheduled. I don't get it.  We're in a down economy and I have money to spend.   Is anyone else having this issue?  Is it better to communicate with vendors via phone?  I have mostly been using e-mail.
    Posted by achicken[/QUOTE]
    I've definitely had this issue. It's really annoying. I would fill out the little request for proposals on websites.... emails are better than phone because you have everything in writing.
    Which venues did you look into? I did a lot of venue shopping, and I could give some suggestions :-)
  • edited December 2011
    I have found that booking vendors that are preferred vendors of the venue you choose is a lot easier than trying to find all of your own vendors. We used the photographer and dj that work often at our venue and they are great at getting back to us immediately. We're trying to find our own bakery for the cake and our own florist and I have had more issues with contacting them. It is really weird to me too that they aren't providing very good service. You would think that they would bend over backwards to get business right now. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    120image Invited to our wedding!
    72 image Are ready to party
    1 image Are missing out
    47 image Haven't decided yet

RSVP Date 2/10
  • blue1981blue1981 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have had some vendors that were pretty unresponsive but I really think it helps to have a wedding planner to be on their case.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The only vendor I really had any issues with communication at all was florists.  It took us FOREVER to find one that was willing to work with us.  It was really frustrating.

I did a ton of research before I contacted anyone though...  and all of my vendors couldn't have been better.  They all worked together great, worked with us great, and were just awesome all around with what they did, and how they did it. 

I also did everything by email...  I hate talking on the phone.   I don't think it was ever more than 2 days or so at most for any of them to get back to me when I contacted them at any time during my planning, or with photographer, after the wedding.
    Photobucket
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

TTC since 2-09 Diagnosed with PCOS 12-11

• jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I've had a pretty similar experience to Syndelin so far.  Most of our vendors have been great to work with so far, even in the beginning stages before we signed contracts (I wouldn't have agreed to work with anyone if they were difficult to get a hold of).

So I guess the only advice I have is to keep looking, there are good vendors out there.  Also, sometimes it helps to be a little proactive and follow up with people yourselves (confiming appointments is a big one, I always do that, not just for wedding stuff, but in general).  You have to remember that they are humans too, I know every once and a while an email might slip past me at work, so I don't doubt that it can happen with vendors as well.

Good luck!  Let us know if you need any recommendations for vendors! (also, weddingwire reviews were super helpful to me when we were booking people)
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011

I honestly didn't have this experience at all. I am so sorry to hear that you are having these issues. I left vendor ratings a few days ago, and overall had a great experience with all of them. With regard to Photographers, consider simply knot, they were soooo responsive.

I'm all dressed up in your words today. Schockedbio.weebly.com
  • edited December 2011
    @sb, thanks for the offer of help with the venue, but we have decided to go with the Biltmore for both ceremony & reception. :-) @cas, All of the photographers I contacted did eventually e-mail me back, except for one that was recommended by the venue! I'm definatley going to mention that to our coordinator. @syndelin, I haven't even started looking for a florist yet! Will read your reviews once I do.
  • edited December 2011
    I am working with Leslie at http://www.azleapinlilys.com/# and she is fantastic. Does great work and has beautiful arangments. There is a contact page on her site with lots of great pictures of her work.
  • edited December 2011
    If you're looking for a great photographer, we're using David Orr Photography. He has answered every question I've had instantly, and is awesome!!!
  • sooner365sooner365 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    C.Van Rensburg photog.... $550!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_arizona-phoenix_wedding-vendors-terrible-customer-service?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:71Discussion:4a99362f-8052-4378-acc2-b85425fc9e44Post:9cf858b3-6da5-451a-8e93-3fa3c30a9d19">Re: Wedding Vendors = Terrible customer service?</a>:
    [QUOTE]C.Van Rensburg photog.... $550!
    Posted by sooner365[/QUOTE]

That price for a wedding photographer....  would scare the crap out of me.  Unless it's like 3 hours coverage with no album/prints/anything included or something.  I get that everyone has to start somewhere, but it wouldn't be with my wedding.   Just my opinion.  LOL
    Photobucket
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

TTC since 2-09 Diagnosed with PCOS 12-11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards