Arizona-Phoenix

Engagement Pics this week

We will be going to get our engagement pics done this week...

any advice on what to wear, etc?
BIO: Updated 7/28 with bridesmaid dresses

Amy & Ian

image 133 Invited so far!
image 48 Are ready to party!
image 27 Will be missing out! (12 kids)
image 59 Are MIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Engagement Pics this week

• sms274sms274 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wear something you are comfortable in. I wore a really cute dress but I was adjusting it the whole time and I feel like it shows in my pictures that I wasn't entirely comfortable. My second outfit was jeans and those look much more comfortable. Don't get too matchy matchy, but try to coordinate with you fiance it looks nicer that way. I would just suggest browsing through some different photographers sites and check out their engagement photos and see the different outfits people chose...
  • NillaWafer10NillaWafer10 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would say nothing too fashionista haha!  You want don't want them to look too dated. Nice jeans and a cute top is always good for a look.  Make sure to bring a formal outfit too.  Don't forget shoes! FI is wearing gross tennis shoes in his, because he forgot to pack better looking ones haha
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011

The best advice I got was to look through other photographers sites.  Most of them will have an engagement section if they do mainly weddings.  Pay attention to what you do and don't like.  I spent A LOT of time doing this and for the most part I am very happy with mine.  I agree with SMS on the dress thing.  I was not comfortable in my dress and it showed.  We did do an outfit change and was happy that we did our dressy outfit first as it gave us time to get use to the photog being there and snapping photos of us. 

We took our photos outside.  After looking through the websites we decided to avoid black as it gets lost against many backgrounds.  Also, avoid small patters, those get lost as well.  But those tips may changes depending on your photo site.  You can try googling this too as there are many sites that give you good advice.

I tried to attach a photo, but not sure if it will work.  But, if it does show up, I think it is a really good example of  bright colors in a photo.  I don't think that we would have been happy in black the photo would not have been so eye catching.  I really did not want FI in brown, but it was hard to match my shirt!  And, since I am the Bride, I got to wear the color of my choice! LOL!  But, overall, since a majority of our photos were in a park like setting, the outfit choice worked well. 

However, I don't think these choices worked so well in a more industrial type setting.  See photo below as I like it much better when I turn in sepia or black and white as I feel like the blue does not go well with the harsh colors.  This was taken a few steps away from the tree photo above.  I would prefer a more muted top on me.  But, it works because I can turn it to sepia or black and white.  But, in the photo above you cant add color that was not there.

The photo below is one of two that I liked out of the entire shot we took in the dress.  Most likely because we are not looking at the camera so you cant see the uncomfortable looks on our faces!

So, after writing this long post, I guess the moral of the story is you cant plan for everything.  I am much more critical of the photos than anyone that I have showed them to.  But, I think we are naturally more critical of ourselves!  But, I do think with planning you can get a lot of photos that you love out of your session. 

11/6/2010
    Planning Bio
  • alschmidalschmid member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for the advice.  We moved the date until next week and are considering Papago Park/Tempe Town Lake or a park out East and check out the wildflowers.
    BIO: Updated 7/28 with bridesmaid dresses

Amy & Ian

image 133 Invited so far!
    image 48 Are ready to party!
    image 27 Will be missing out! (12 kids)
    image 59 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards