Arizona-Phoenix
Options

Confused about marriage license..

So we got married and we signed two different times on our marriage license. One the officiant mailed in and the other we have. I paid for the extra copy that I thought was going to come in the mail, but I am confused now because we have the second copy. Is that the copy I use to change my name, or am I still going to get one in the mail?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Confused about marriage license..

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have no idea since I have not yet gotten married, but my gut tells me you have to wait for the offilcial copy to come in the mail.  The marriage needs to be recorded before you can change your name, and the only way to know that this has happened is to get the mail sent one back.  If the copy you have was sufficient then how would the ss office know that you ever sent the other copy in at all?
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I was able to change my name with the copy that I signed on my day.  Just go to the SS office and you should be able to change it.  You do have to wait at least 1 day after filing for your new SS card before changing your name at the DMV.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When we got our marriage licenese at the county office I paid extra.  On the day I got married we signed the 2 copies and the officiant mailed off the bottom copy to the county for recording.

About a month later we got the copy back with a notary stamp which is the "Certified Copy of Marriage License".  I took that copy down to social security and the dmv to change my name.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards