Arizona-Phoenix

Honeymoon Registry Websites

Hi knotties.

My fiance and I are planning to register for a honeymoon online instead of in a store.  Does anyone have any experience with the websites out there?  If not, do you know where I could find reviews on such a thing?

I know it's a somewhat newer concept- so I just really don't want me or my gracious guests getting ripped off.  Any input would be great.

Thanks all!

Re: Honeymoon Registry Websites

• NillaWafer10NillaWafer10 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have heard that honeyfund is one of the better sites to go through, because they do not charge a percentage.

Disclaimer:  Since this is a new idea, there are many people who think it's rude.  My guests would have been supportive of the idea, because they would want to give us what we truly want.  Some people are really adamant and call this a social faux pas, so beware :)  Personally I think they are great as the company doesn't take a cut.

I would recommend that you register at at least one store.  There are many people who don't feel computer savvy enough for online giving sites, don't like them, or will want to give a tangible gift.  I loved my registry at Bed Bath and Beyond.  I think they have the best policies, you can take any gifts you don't want back and get cash or a gift card.

http://www.honeyfund.com/
    Photobucket
  • CellesCelles member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The overwhelming sentiment on the international boards is that honeymoon registries are a major faux pas.  If you don't agree, that's fine -- it's certainly your prerogative! -- but I know I'd be leery of one for the simple reason that so many people find them offensive.  There's really no way to know if your guests would be truly supportive or not; no one is going to tell the bride "Congratulations!  By the way, your honeymoon registry makes you look tacky and cheap." 

I personally don't have strong feelings one way or the other, but I've heard both of those words used to describe such registries in the past -- and that alone leads me to avoid them. 

Just another perspective to consider. :)
  • edited December 2011
    We've considered all of those perspectives- but thanks for chiming in.

We will probably register at one store- but we won't register for much.  My fiancee and I have been together 7 years, living together 5 years and most certainly don't need anything.  There's always room to upgrade, but here is the reality: if we don't get help from our guests for a honeymoon- there won't be one.  That's not something I would ever tell my guests, but I know that if they knew that- they would have no hesitation in giving us money toward a honeymoon instead of a new set of steak knives.

Maybe some people think it's tacky, but I think it's modern. Just because it's a newer way to give a wedding gift, doesn't make it wrong.  If there's one thing I'm not- it's traditional.  I think that registering for a honeymoon is more "US" than registering at Bed Bath and Beyond or Crate and Barrel anyday.
  • NillaWafer10NillaWafer10 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's good to recognize what's going to suit you as a couple best.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you Nilla.  I agree.

I guess I feel a bit rebuffed on this thread, but that's okay.  I'm still going to go with it.
  • Marissa0717Marissa0717 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Beckity,
    My FI and I are in the same boat as you. We both have been living on our own for years and got most of what we needed as house warming gifts. We are doing a honeymoon registry and everyone we talked to has been psyched. We are registering at one store, but just for a few things.
    Our friends did a honeymoon registry and everyone we talked to at their wedding loved the idea so we decided to do it as well. Our friends had the great idea of taking pictures of everything they did on their HM and when they got home they sent a pictures and thank you note to everyone that showed what the guest had bought from the honeymoon registry. For example, we bought part of their dinner cruise one night so our thank you card included a picture of them enjoying their dinner on the cruise. It made us happy to know we got them something they actually enjoyed rather than something that was going to get shoved in a cabinet or closet and never used.
    It's your wedding. Do that makes YOU and your FI happy Beckity. It's your day and you will never make everyone happy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • alschmidalschmid member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I dont' really understand how its so terrible to have a honeymoon registry either.  Not sure what we are doing yet, but as a guest, I wouldnt' mind having the option to get something for the honeymoon.  although I would definitely try to avoid the sites that take a percentage out.
    BIO: Updated 7/28 with bridesmaid dresses

Amy & Ian

image 133 Invited so far!
    image 48 Are ready to party!
    image 27 Will be missing out! (12 kids)
    image 59 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks you guys.  I've been talking to people (I'm a hairstylist, so I talk to LOTS of people a day)- and the general concensus is that the honeymoon website is a cool, fun idea.  Everyone I've brought it up to have said, "You can do that?  That's awesome!" And they truly mean it- they aren't just placating me because I'm a bride to be.  I appreciate your encouragement though and I think I'm going to check out Honeyfund.com
  • edited May 2013

We have registered with Ourwishingwell.com. Many of my friends have used their services and they all enjoyed it with great satisfaction. We have also created our personalized wedding registry with it. There we can post the details of the wedding event and photos. My fiancé is very excited with it.

• We are registered on honeyfund, and their interface is a little iffy. I decided on them because they don't charge a huge fees on us or the guests, but their "free" site is really bare. They do try and upgrade you constanstly, but $40 is a little to much for me. I used the link below to determine which site to use and she broke it down site by site.

http://destination-wedding-experts.com/best-honeymoon-registry-for-you/
  • I have heard that honeyfund is one of the better sites to go through, because they do not charge a percentage.

Disclaimer:  Since this is a new idea, there are many people who think it's rude.  My guests would have been supportive of the idea, because they would want to give us what we truly want.  Some people are really adamant and call this a social faux pas, so beware :)  Personally I think they are great as the company doesn't take a cut.

I would recommend that you register at at least one store.  There are many people who don't feel computer savvy enough for online giving sites, don't like them, or will want to give a tangible gift.  I loved my registry at Bed Bath and Beyond.  I think they have the best policies, you can take any gifts you don't want back and get cash or a gift card.

http://www.honeyfund.com/

Honeyfund only is free if they contribute via cash or check.  If they are going to do that, the guests might as well just send you the check directly.  The big advantage I see to honeymoon funds is that is allows guests to contribute online via credit or debit card, and pretty much all of them charge fee for this.  I would point out to your guests that there is/may be a fee involved, because some may prefer to just give cash/check to you directly so you get the full amount they are paying, rather than having it reduced by 2% fee or whatever it is.  And some may get upset if they find out after the fact that you didn't get the full amount.

Doing a limited traditional registry will already let people know that money is preferred gift.

Also, the other complaint I have seen is to make sure that you actually do the things you list on the site.  For example, if you register for $100 for scuba diving, make sure you actually go scuba diving, and even better send photo of yourself enjoying that activity to the people that contributed to it.  I've heard people get really upset because they thought they were paying for a specific activity, but the couple never did that activity.  If you don't know what you will do, leave the registry to more open activity choices, instead of specifics.

If you know what you plan for honeymoon, look at specific travel/hotel sites, because some already offer their own options.  We are doing a cruise and the cruise line offers a registry that will automatically deposit into our on-board account.  It still has fee, but smaller than most of the other honeymoon funds.

Also, for another option, if you do a registry on Amazon, which I recommend since it allows so many various options, you can include non-Amazon items on the registry. So, you can add gift cards to your registry, which would allow you to use full paid value.  They actually have some gift cards you can purchase direct from Amazon, also. We actually included Southwest Airlines gift cards & Cruise Line gift cards on our registry.  Or you could request gift cards for hotel.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards