Ohio-Northeast

reception band AND dj?

Looking into the possibility of having both band and DJ for our reception; band from cocktails until after dinner, DJ into the wee hours. Does anyone have any input on doing this or suggestions on who to use? Wedding to be held in the Canton area. Thanks!

Re: reception band AND dj?

• jaylii9jaylii9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not sure about the DJ part, but this is what we did.

We hired a acoustic guitarist for our ceremony and cocktail hour---Tom Poore, he was great! Then for dinner and dancing we hired the Grand Avenue Band. They were awesome and everyone loved them! They had the dance floor moving all night!
  • JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For my brother's wedding, they hired both a band and DJ. The wedding was Macedonian orthodox and very traditional so the band played the ethnic dances, while the DJ handled the typical modern music. They trade off -- the band played for about 30-45min, then the DJ took over for about the same period of time, and so on. It was a great mix for everyone and the timing worked out well. Transitions between the two entertainment types were seamless.

Your idea sounds fine. A friend of mine actually hired a piano player for the cocktails and dinner, then a DJ took over for the 'party' oriented part of the event. I would think you could hire anyone in the Northeast Ohio area. Everybody travels these days, and in the grand scheme of things, Canton isn't really that far from the Cleveland area.

What kind of band sound do you envision for the early part of the evening? Laid back, Frank Sinatra type stuff? New Age? Jazz? Jerry Bruno Productions has tons of bands under one roof. I'm sure you'd find something there. JB has a great reputation.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • missmis99missmis99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went through Jerry Bruno Productions.  They manage tons of bands and DJS.  Our band, the Avenue actually played DJ like music during the  entrance and dinner and then after dinner is when they played.  This was the perfect combo for us. We were very happy with them.
    my read shelf:
    Robin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • missyreeves21missyreeves21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out Entertainment Now Productions.  They have both dj's and bands and will help you pick which to use.  They did ceremony music and reception music for my friend.  They also book all the live entertainment at Crocker Park and thats always so good! www.enetratinmentnowproductions.com
  • soontobemrs2soontobemrs2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Canton is really not that far
    We had the band play CDs for dinner and then they played for dancing. We used Grand Avenue Band and they were AWESOME. 
    They also played CDs during breaks and kept the party moving even during breaks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards