Illinois-Chicago
Options

should I or shouldn't I have a DOC?

I never even entertained the idea of having a DOC, but just recently looked into one that seems very reasonably priced and I'm wondering if I should just do it.  But, then what about the "coordinator" at the actual venue?  does she just sit it out?

The person at my venue that does all the wedding stuff is not very reliable.  AND she seems to forget everything!  She told me twice AFTER we had our tasting that we needed to schedule our tasting (just one example).  She is also not good at returning calls and emails, nor does she give straight answers on certain things.  Thus, my reasoning for at least checking into a DOC.  I just sort of have a hard time with it, like...I'm worried that they will just want to control everything that day and I have this vision they will be telling people where to go, what to do all day long.

Did you or are you having one for your wedding and if so, how did it work out and would you recommend it??? 

Re: should I or shouldn't I have a DOC?

• Options
    edited December 2011

DO IT!

I was in the same boat as you re: not feeling good about our hotel's coordinator (she was similarly forgetful). A DOC wasn't even in our original budget but I'm so glad I found room!

I hired Katie from Sweet Pea Wedding Studio and it is the best thing I could have done. I am getting married in 5 days and I have complete faith that Katie and her assistant will flawlessly execute my vision. As of last week, they completely took over all contact with my vendors.   They will be working with the hotel's coordinator so she doesn't get to sit out! 

http://www.sweetpeaweddingstudio.com/
    hello@sweetpeaweddingstudio.com

• Options
    edited December 2011
    One of my close friends volunteered to be my DOC, but she kind of dropped on the ball on a few things...however, the coordinator at the hotel we were getting married at went above and beyond our expectations, so everything ran smoothly.  From the sound of your venue....I'd consider hiring one if you have the budget!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

seventiespop-that is exactly who I was looking into!  would you be able to let me know how it turned out and if the controlling issue is anything I should be worried about? 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Of course!
    I'm hoping to post reviews next week.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you!  I'll be looking for it : )  GOOD LUCK to you!!! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If I were having issues with the venue coordinator, I would have looked more seriously into a DOC. Fortunately, the coordinator at our reception venue and the coordinator at our church are both wonderful. I am a super organized person and all of the vendors have timelines from me, so one isn't needed.
    7/10/10 imageDandy
  • Options
    tonya07tonya07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Anthony Navarro with Liven It Up Events.  They have a Face Book page if you want to see the types of things they do.  Even if you have an onsite corrdinator, they're not going to make sure everyone is where they need to be, or fix a random stain that appears on your dress, or let you bounce ideas off of & give you input on everything wedding related.  Although I only hired Anthony as my DOC, he's available for email support for anything I may need help on & really is giving me a lot more than just being there on the day of the wedding.  I think you deserve to let someone else take the reigns & allow you to enjoy your wedding!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used Elizabeth Tulipana from Anticipation Events and she was AMAZING!!!!! I was so greatful to have her there - she came to the rehearsal as well, and w/o her, it would have been a LONG drawn-out mess.

I swear, I think everyone from my family commented on how wonderful and helpful she was - and that was a HUGE plus for me! She's amazing!!!
    imageimage
    Finally...we are Mr. & Mrs.!!! WooHoo!!!

Planning Bio
    Married Bio (Work In Progress)
  • Options
    MrsPapsMrsPaps member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Amanda at LaDi Events, super reasonable. If it's within your budget I would 100% say you should get one. The DOC will help with more than just the venue stuff and she will be making sure your vision is seen all the way through. It takes the stress off of you and your family so you can truly enjoy the day. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards