Illinois-Chicago
Options

VIDEO

Hi again,

It looks we are not going have a videographer.  Some of them are booked already but mostly we want a simple video and that seems to be hard to find. We don't want any montages or pictures uploaded to the video.  It doesn't even matter if it is divided into chapters. We have looked into a wide price range for videographers and it seems the cheap ones only do raw footage videos.  I've been told that the raw footage videos are about 4-6 hours and I know personally I wouldn't watch it. 
I'm thinking about asking one of my bridesmaid's husbands to video the ceremony and a couple of the important parts of the reception.  He won't really know anyone at the wedding except his wife.  I would provide him with our video camera for the night.  I want to do something for him if he does do it for us.  Do you guys have any suggestions on what we could do for him? 

Thanks.

Re: VIDEO

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, I think that it is rude and selfish to ask your bridesmaid's husband to work at your wedding. She is already doing so much for you by standing up on your day, her husband should at least be able to come and relax and have a good time while she is up doing her bridesmaid duties and then they should be able to enjoy the reception together. 

Who cares if he doesn't know anyone? He can't socialize with other people while she is busy?  If he was a vidoegapher and offered his services that would be different, but it sounds like a pretty boring, lonely job to stick him with just to save some money. And he would only be producing raw footage anyway, so that is easily done by ANYONE.  I would re-think your decision. Just put an inquiry up on craigslist and hire a film student or something. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Katers, bummer that you couldn't find someone!  When is your wedding? I don't blame you for not wanting the picture montage -- I absolutely hate that!  I've also seen some pretty cheesy editing too where I thought to myself "what are these people thinking?!"

Perhaps finding a college student at Columbia or some other art type school could help!  That way everyone can enjoy the wedding and no pressure for any of the guests.

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I also didn't want the video montage, but felt too nervous about asking someone to record my ceremony.  There are so many things that can go wrong.  There may be audio problems, they may forget to turn on the camera.

My grandparents are not able to attend the wedding, so I felt that it was important to hire someone just for the ceremony.  I am using Jeff from shoot the bride films.  His prices for this ceremony package are reasonable and we will will end up getting a video that we may watch again.
    Married!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Rude and selfish? I think Annie is being a bit harsh.
    Perhaps when think it through you may be able to find someone else. But if not, to answer your question, you could invite him to the rehersal dinner and present him with a generous gift for helping out on your wedding day. Some people like to help and are happy to do so when asked. You could ask your bridesmaid her opinion before you ask her husband to get a better feel for if he would like to help.
    Best of luck to you.
  • Options
    MrsPapsMrsPaps member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    try posting a listing on Craigslist for a student film maker, you can probably get someone super cheap to do what you want to do. I wouldn't ask a guest to do it, even if he didn't know anyone else there. Best of luck!
  • Options
    KATERS882KATERS882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is exactly why I'm posting.... to get advice.  I wasn't trying to be rude and selfish.  I just wanted a simple video..... no frills, no photo or video montages or no brides preparation.  I have found some individual videographers that would normally do this kind of thing but they are booked already.  By the way, I have done the videography for some of my friends before because they asked me to and I'm not even a videographer.  It was for weddings that I didn't know people and weddings that I knew people.  I didn't get anything for doing and I didn't expect anything for doing it.  I still gave them presents too.  I did it because they asked me to.  My fiance just waited for me to get done with what they wanted and then we danced.  I just personally wouldn't ask them to do something for me and not get anything for it. So that is where I got the idea from.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For the record, I dont think you were being rude or selfish, it doesn't hurt to ask!  If he says no, oh well, on to plan B! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our videographer we are using has a wedding day packaged edited of aroun $950 in HD. If that is in your budget. We are using them for our wedding. We did go with a bigger package, but they are easy and freindly to work with. Midwest Video Productions of Illinois and Dan is the owner. Give them a try. You have nothing to lose. Hope they can help and let them know you are on a budget. We did. heres their website. http://www.midwestvideoproductions.com/
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    PS, maybe you can also ask a relative who is not standing up in your party to tape it for you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try J.C. Designs in SE Wisconsin. They provide simple video and reasonably priced.

http://www.jcdesignswi.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards