Illinois-Chicago

Navy Blue Suits for Groom and Groomsmen?

Has anyone been to a wedding where the groom and groomsmen wore navy blue suits to match navy blue dresses? Originally, I automatically thought we'd do black suits/tuxes for the guys (and that's what I've usually seen for navy blue weddings). But now I'm leaning towards navy blue. That's not overkill, is it? I just haven't seen it AT ALL and wondered if there's a reason...Any input or advice on going in that direction?

Re: Navy Blue Suits for Groom and Groomsmen?

• edited December 2011
    I'd love to hear what everyone has to say.... I am leaning towards the same thing! Have you picked out the bridesmaid dresses yet?
  • stinad1983stinad1983 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that would be overkill although I haven't seen it in person.  We are using the brown tuxes and I didn't want brown BM dresses to match because I thought it was WAY too much brown together...
  • edited December 2011
    FI just stood up in a wedding where that was the case and it looked fantastic. The girls had pink flowers and the guys had white shirts under the navy (very faint pinstripe) suits with pink ties. The blues were very close, but not identical and the bright flowers and ties really broke up the sea of blue.Very nice!
  • edited December 2011
    We had Navy BM dresses, but we stuck with black tuxes. I've seen pics of a wedding that did brown suits with brown dresses and it was overkill. If you want to see the dresses with the tuxes, my pics are in the bio.
  • edited December 2011
    I think its overkill...just too much blue.The contrast with black and blue would be nicer.
  • edited December 2011
    I love navy blue tuxes, so we are matching them with the girls' navy dresses. I really don't understand the whole overkill thing, especially since many wedding parties have black dresses with black tuxes. I think it looks great.
    7/10/10 imageDandy
  • edited December 2011
    That's exactly what I'm doing. I think it looks great, the guys shirts are silver/gray which stands out against the blue suits, my girls will also have on silver/gray pashminas that will break up the navy as well. My wedding is next Saturday, I'll post pics and hopefully that'll give you a visual.
  • edited December 2011
    I think you will have an extremely hard time finding them to rent...so you will have to ask the men to buy one if you want them all to match :( With men, they commonly mix black and navy together. DH is an attorney and he usually wears black shoes with is navy suit. At one point, it was a big no-no for ladies mixing black and navy...for men, it seems to have always been a standard. I have seen people go with brown tuxes to match the brown dresses- looks nice, but those too are challenging to find. I think the big limiting factor will be finding them to rent or asking the men to purchase a new suit.
  • edited December 2011
    I am having Navy dresses and am considering both navy suits and khaki suits. I have found both of them to rent. The khaki are cheaper to rent, the navy were around $150, khaki $100. They don't have them in the store to try on, but I figured I would bring a dress in to match it with a swatch if I went the navy route. I really don't think it would be overkill, but we are thinking khaki to mix it up. I think either is fine, navy/navy or black/navy or you could try khaki/navy. My wedding is in the spring, and it looks like we are date twins!
    Steph & Brandon 4.17.10
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio - Updated 7.2
  • edited December 2011
    thefuturemrsbrock - the bridesmaid dresses are short cocktail with a somewhat high waist. we found it at the theory outlet on sale back in the spring! luckily i only have 2 bridemsaids, so we bought em right there and then. i love them! soon2bmrswells - yes, PLEASE post your pics as soon as you can! i'd love to see how the navy on navy turns out.ssylling - where did you find navy suits to rent? i haven;t even started looking, so that info would be so helpful if we went this route. thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    We found them in Indiana right over the border in St. John. at  Dunhill Tuxedos. I haven't looked any other place, but I know they have them here, they may have other locations, I didn't check. www.dunhilltuxedos.com
    Steph & Brandon 4.17.10
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio - Updated 7.2
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards