Illinois-Chicago
Options

Reception Ideas in the NW burbs

Hi girls! I'm new to this board--I look forward to chatting with everyone and sharing ieads! For a while I was thinking I wanted to get married in Wisconsin, where I have a lot of family, but have decided to keep it in the burbs. I'm from the Norhthwest suburbs and would like to have my reception at a unique setting, other than a banquet hall. I would LOVE to get married at the Armour House in Lake Forest but it is way out of my budget. The only other idea I have is the Cuneo Museum but I don't know if it's going to be out of my buget too. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Re: Reception Ideas in the NW burbs

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Check out Venuti's in Addison... its a bit farther south than you're thinking, but we were absolutely BLOWN AWAY with the venue and amenities, and the food is to die for! We also really liked Winnetka Community House...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I thought of both the Cuneo Mansion and Armour House...but at the end of the day, we felt it was too expensive.  We ended up going with the Chevy Chase Country Club...great prices, very pretty, and wonderful staff!  We are doing it in the Grand Ballroom, and although I was not a fan of the carpet, I loved the rest of it (the service definitely got it in the bag).  The are is very large, and our "theme" is the Rat Pack, so it was pretty perfect.  My FI is a foodie, so we wnded up doing two tastings before we approved, but they were willing to do that before we even signed a contract.  They are very accomodating and the prices are very reasonable...the only downfall is it is not outside, but we are doing it in the middle of May, so I was a bit worried about weather.  Also try Independence Grove, in Libertyville, I believe...I am not sure about the price, but I believe it is reasonable.  Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Depending on how unique and how many people you are expecting try the Byron Colby Barn in Grayslake.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We got married at White Pines Golf Club in Bensenville. It's pretty traditional, but it was unique enough and budget-friendly enough to gain our vote. We couldn't have been happier with anything -- lots of reviews and pictures linked below!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at Midlane Resort in Wadsworth, just a few miles south of the border. It's a pretty standard hotel/banquet hall on a golf course though. Independence grove is nice- I asked for pricing this spring and the 2009 prices were pretty reasonable provided it was a large wedding. The Saturday food and drink minimum was way too high for us to afford with a 100 person guest list (I want to say somewhere around 10-12k??) but with more guests, the per head price wouldn't be so bad. I think the pricing for Cuneo is on the web and it is $150-$200 a head if memory serves me correctly. Cuneo does have the claim to fame from My Best Friend's Wedding though;)Another place I liked, but my parents and MOH vetoed was Seasons of Long Grove. A lot was included for the price and I really love Long Grove.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Danada House in Wheaton. It's beautiful and very unique. It's a house with an atrium off the back that is set in the woods, and it has some really cool lighting. We had Danada House booked for an August 2010 wedding, but we decided to go with Arrowhead Golf Club (also in Wheaton) and move the date up to March. =)  But Danada House is definitely different while also very pretty.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    my wedding is at Makray Memorial Golf Club in Barrington. (used to be Thunderbird Golf Course, but they remodeled it a few years back).it's absolutely gorgous, and has a nice rustic feel to it. And VERY affordable. The clubhouse is so cute, and you would have the entire upstairs for the reception.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Not sure about a unique ceremony location, but for your reception you could do Emmett's Tavern in West Dundee.  I guess there's one in Palatine too, but I can only speak for the one in West Dundee.  I've seen a few wedding receptions there (and rehearsal dinners).  Someone else on the board recently got married and had her reception there and had a lot of good things to say.  I can't remember who it was though. I know it was within the last 2 months.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Marriott Lincolnshire Resort has a tent that is heated and air conditioned. It's a different setting. I believe they have pictures on their website. I have also heard great things about Independence Grove. My aunts reception was at the Armour House and to tell you the truth...it was nothing amazing. I felt it was overpriced and cramped. I can't say much more about it because I got there late (my college graduation was the same day). Good luck in your search!
    imageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I second White Pines!Beautiful room and gorgeous grounds.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our wedding is at the Woman's Club of Evanston - it's beautiful and unique. www.wcofe.org

231 Invited image 150 Attending image 81 Declined image 0 Have not replied image
    RSVP Date - June 24, 2010
  • Options
    megs175megs175 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow! I love all these ideas. Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    buyricebuyrice member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're currently deciding between Seasons of Long Grove and the Lakeside Pavilion at Stonegate in Hoffman Estates.  They're both really nice in different ways, and were similarly priced when we did the math.  Stonegate is a banquet hall but we were really taken with how pretty the pavilion is.
  • Options
    DebraFBDebraFB member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married at Seasons of Long Grove next summer, and I am so excited! Long Grove itself is so unique and picturesque. Seasons has a beautiful English courtyard, and they recently redecorated inside. I've heard the food is amazing (haven't tried it just yet), and so far Frank, one of the owners, has been incredibly nice and helpful. We also really liked the Milrose in Barrington. Good luck in your search!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards